Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Flippercon said:
Not to Hijack rgr4475 ,but I finally got over to my moms and she gave me a bunch of Pothos ivy (devils ivy) and I stuck it in the tank. I have seen her from these things out of cups after they were clipped. I have them on 4 of my tanks at the moment. All 4 tanks are different in many ways : substrate,plants ,fish , and filters. So I will revisit this post in a months time to update the outcome.
No, please do. Very interested in hearing the results. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Flippercon said:
Ok I have had the ivy in the tanks for 3 weeks now and the results are great. no harm to any fish at all. My dojo loach hangs off it. :lol: well the reduction in nitrates is outstanding. I have not changed wc or feeding schedules at all just the ivy in the tank.My 125 had a bad nitrate problem it was going up to 20-30ppm in 3days, with 2 50% wc with vacuum a week. Now its one 50% wc a week and nitrates are at 10 ppm. :D :thumb: I would definitely recommend this method to help with nitrate reduction, as long as wc were done on a regular basis.
Very Cool! Thanks for experimenting!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Flippercon said:
Yeah no problem. Gotta go steal some more from my mothers house. Thinking about getting a bunch and rubberbanding a bunch together and growing it up the wall. Got an experiment to make a curtain out of some. I have a 55 in front of a window and this would be a pretty cool curtain if I can get enough.
Good idea. But as of right now, you just threw some on top of the water?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Flippercon said:
I stuck the cuttings (like a vine) in the water. So one end was under the water (about 4-6") , and the rest I Hung over the side of the tank. My idea was to just bunch more together with a rubber band so you have more then just a few in the water. Kinda like a 5x effect. I will take some pictures when I get off work.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts