Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Yep- if it's a community tank, then just make sure there's plenty of rock and sand in an area for the paracyps to claim. I have a 40 breeder (48") with ~25 paracyps, a group of breeding J. regani, and a pair of gobies (Eret. cyanostictus). The regani are not full grown, so we'll see if this combo still works next year.

But- assuming you like doing water changes, have sufficient filtration, and don't have overly aggressive tanks mates (good candidates would be altolamps, small julies, mild shellies, or xenos), you could easily house 40+ paracyps. For just grow-out, you could raise 100 or more, for a species breeding tank, start with 20-40 paracyps, some rocks, and let them have at it. I have found it important to keep the water clean and stable for the paracyps to do well. They suffer a bit more if I skip a water change or do a particularly large one.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I would think 12 real full size WC at about 6" would more than fill the tank.
Personally I would try WC Paracyps in a bigger tank.

All the best James

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well here's my problem. Im getting 40 in on friday. I want to put them in a 135 but have to move some fish around to do that. I have a the 80, a 75, and a 55 ready to go. I guess my main problem is in order to put them all in a 135 I have to set up a 180 to move my moba fronts into and they are days away from spawning so I don't wat to move them quite yet. My goal is to have one hand picked breeding group of the paracys in a 6ft 135. What would you do. I just don't want to move them around a lot.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
24Tropheus said:
I would think 12 real full size WC at about 6" would more than fill the tank.
Personally I would try WC Paracyps in a bigger tank.
6" paracyps? Wow- I'd love to see that. I've seen a male push 4.5" but my line rarely gets much more than 3.5"

I just reread the original post about these being WC- if they are XL you'll need more space in the long run. But, you can keep the 40 in the 80 gallon for now, you shouldn't have any problems with that while you get the rest sorted out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think thats what ill do. Im not even sure how large they will come in and *** never seen one at 6" either. Im guessing thew will come in around 3" so the 80 will prob make a good temporary home for them. *** never done this species before so I am way excited! Once I get my 135 ready for them I was wanting to breed them together with 1 or 2 other species. I realize this means I[/quote] will have to catch and either strip or seperate paracyp females wich i have no proplem doing. Any suggestions on some species that would be well suited? I want something rare and worth doing. Im kinda leaning toward maybe a xeno red princess or enan kilesa. I would love to do maybe some foai with them but am unsure of the male foais punking down the paracys. Another idea was to get or try to get some wc neolamp nigriventris in with them but im unsure or the agression. I also have lepidolamp hequi coming in on the same shipment and have tossed around throwing a trio in with them. What do yall think?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Xenos and paracyps are a classic combo. :thumb: They both like subdued lighting and calm tankmates; you would probably get some in-tank fry survival with just those two species. Hecqui- a little too aggressive, and I'm not sure how much of the footprint feather fins would leave for the paracyps. Gobies are a good choice, and a bit of a challenge to breed. But they'd eat any fry they could catch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts