Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have 7 multies in a 55g with yellow labs, mixed peacocks, and some small frontosa. My multies rarely leave their shells and they are easily spooked when the other fish swim by. I have a 10g i can set up and I wanted to know if they would fit. My multies are all less than one inch.

Thanks, David

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
For long term, a 10 gallon can support 1 male and maybe 2-3 females, if fry are removed periodically.

Do they have enough shells in the 55 gallon, and what type of substrate? Where in the 55 are they located? While I don't think that the tank mates they've got are good choices, you can try to make them more comfortable where they are.

Here's some suggestions:

- Have 30-40 shells and stack them. Females will chose lower shells to spawn in and they'll feel more comfortable knowing that the big fish can't reach them in the lower levels.

- Place the shell bed in a corner. That way the multies don't need a 360-degree defense.

- Keep rocks and other structures 8" away from the shell bed so that predators can't sneak up on them quite so easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the responses. With the new information We decided to skip the 10g tank an go to a 20 gallon long. Do you guys think that I could do this tank for multies and a grow out tank for my small peacocks until they reach a size when we can give them back to mom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FWIW I have 8 adult Multies (well, some are still small) and a handful of fry in a 10g. I have probably 7 dozen shells though (seriously)...and the bottom of the tank is covered in them. I haven't had any issues in the 3-4 months that I've had them, but I have plans for a larger tank in the near-ish future. :) I am starting to think that I only have 1 male though, but alot of them aren't fully grown, so I could be proved wrong.

A 10g would be ok for short term with a small group. I only had a m/f pair for a couple months before I added more and got more than I really wanted for this size tank.

I know they'll soon fill up a 10g so 20 long is definitely a better size!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I would put the multi's in the 20 long, and use the 10g for the growout. The Aulonocara babies are likely to try and eat the multi babies, most likely getting hammered in the process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts