Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Chris. I am new here. Couple questions... I currently have 2 red zebras, 1 blue zebra, 1 yellow lab, 1 albino socolofi, 1 johanni, and 1 maison reef in a 50 gallon currently... assuming all proper filtration and water changes... how many total mbuna should I keep in a 50 gallon? Assuming all are full size. Also, debating on possibly getting a 75 if the 50 is too small... assuming proper filtration and water changes, how many mbuna should I keep in a 75 gallon. Assuming all are full size. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Depends on the species. Some Mbuna are small, some are large; some Mbuna are very aggressive, others less so. Obviously you will be able to keep more of the small, less aggressive fishes in a tank of any given size than larger, more aggressive species. Decide which way you'd like to go, pick a favorite species or two, and build a community around them. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sir_keith said:
Depends on the species. Some Mbuna are small, some are large; some Mbuna are very aggressive, others less so. Obviously you will be able to keep more of the small, less aggressive fishes in a tank of any given size than larger, more aggressive species. Decide which way you'd like to go, pick a favorite species or two, and build a community around them. Good luck.
^
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,491 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 50G? Usually a 75G 48x18 is the minimum recommended for all male. In addition all male is challenging, especially with mbuna. Mbuna are more aggressive than haps and peacocks and there are not that many mbuna that look nothing alike, with all the blue and yellow/orange varieties.

When you stock all-male you want one of each species and none that look alike. Read the all-male tank article in the Cichlid-forum Library for pros, cons and ideas. Make sure you have one or more extra tanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
What are the dimensions of the 50G? Usually a 75G 48x18 is the minimum recommended for all male. In addition all male is challenging, especially with mbuna. Mbuna are more aggressive than haps and peacocks and there are not that many mbuna that look nothing alike, with all the blue and yellow/orange varieties.

When you stock all-male you want one of each species and none that look alike. Read the all-male tank article in the Cichlid-forum Library for pros, cons and ideas. Make sure you have one or more extra tanks.
The 50 is a 36L x 18W x 18H. I bought all the mbuna I currently have unsexed as juveniles and they seem to be doing very well with one another. And yes the 75 would be a standard 75 size. How many adult mbuna sized 6 inches and under could I put in the 50 and how many in the 75? Again.... assuming proper filtration and that they're all adults and with plenty of caves and hides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
As I always say, I'm a cichlid newbie so I don't have a lot of experience with them but I can tell you how it went for me. I started last november with a 45 gallons, 36 inches tank and slowly added Mbunas in small groups until I had 12 of them. All juveniles. It didn't take long for one male to become very aggressive and terrorize his own kind (yellow labs). I had to remove one fish and put it in a hospital tank. His fins were damaged and he was not allowed to eat so he would have died.

I wasn't having much fun with my tank and it was very stressful to me, let alone the fish. I rapidly moved forward with my plans to move them in a 75 gallons. I added a lot more rocks, almost touching the surface. After a few weeks I also added 12 more fish, making sure they were a medium/small size and not among the most aggressive species. After doing all of that, it didn't take long before things calmed down in the tank. The fish who were constantly hiding and being attacked slowly started being part of the community. They found their hiding spots in the rocks and were allowed to eat. The beaten up fish went back in and he is doing well.

I did the move about 3 weeks ago and the fish are still adapting but things are really looking up. I wouldn't put Mbunas in a 36 inch tank again. That's my experience. Before going through this, I thought people were exaggerating how aggressive these fish are. They're not. Mbunas will kill each other if not kept in sufficient space with a lot of hiding places.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,206 Posts
Releasethekracken said:
DJRansome said:
What are the dimensions of the 50G? Usually a 75G 48x18 is the minimum recommended for all male. In addition all male is challenging, especially with mbuna. Mbuna are more aggressive than haps and peacocks and there are not that many mbuna that look nothing alike, with all the blue and yellow/orange varieties.

When you stock all-male you want one of each species and none that look alike. Read the all-male tank article in the Cichlid-forum Library for pros, cons and ideas. Make sure you have one or more extra tanks.
The 50 is a 36L x 18W x 18H. I bought all the mbuna I currently have unsexed as juveniles and they seem to be doing very well with one another. And yes the 75 would be a standard 75 size. How many adult mbuna sized 6 inches and under could I put in the 50 and how many in the 75? Again.... assuming proper filtration and that they're all adults and with plenty of caves and hides.
Juveniles behaviour is not at all, an indicator of what will happen when they mature (especially sexually).

How many adult random unknown mbuna species sized 6 inches or so in a 36L tank. Probably one, or zero. For it to work at all, would require specific fish, and stocking, not random fish.

In a 75 gallon, anywhere from 12-15.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,491 Posts
Fogelhund said:
Probably one, or zero. For it to work at all, would require specific fish, and stocking, not random fish.
Plus one.

You already have six species, one of each. When you keep males and females (recommended) you need large groups of females per male because these fish are harem breeders. The male will harass a lone female possibly to death attempting to spawn, even when she is already holding fry. If you have 4 or more females he can spread the aggression among them and prevent the death of any one fish or the illness of many fish.

You could get a 125G 72" long tank and stock something like this:
1m:4f red zebras, a.k.a. Metriaclima estherae
1m:4f 1 blue zebra, a.k.a. Metriaclima callainos
1m:4f 1 yellow lab, a.k.a. Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f 1 albino socolofi, a.k.a. Pseudotropheus socolofi
1m:7f johanni a.k.a. Melanochromis johannii
1m:7f maison reef a.k.a. Metriaclima sp. "Zebra Chilumba" (Maison Reef)

You have a lot of Metriaclima species in the tank, I would eliminate the estherae because they crossbreed easily with yellow labs and hybrid fry can be a problem if you have survivors. Five species in a 72" tank is just right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,206 Posts
DJRansome said:
Fogelhund said:
Probably one, or zero. For it to work at all, would require specific fish, and stocking, not random fish.
Plus one.

You already have six species, one of each. When you keep males and females (recommended) you need large groups of females per male because these fish are harem breeders. The male will harass a lone female possibly to death attempting to spawn, even when she is already holding fry. If you have 4 or more females he can spread the aggression among them and prevent the death of any one fish or the illness of many fish.

You could get a 125G 72" long tank and stock something like this:
1m:4f red zebras, a.k.a. Metriaclima estherae
1m:4f 1 blue zebra, a.k.a. Metriaclima callainos
1m:4f 1 yellow lab, a.k.a. Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f 1 albino socolofi, a.k.a. Pseudotropheus socolofi
1m:7f johanni a.k.a. Melanochromis johannii
1m:7f maison reef a.k.a. Metriaclima sp. "Zebra Chilumba" (Maison Reef)

You have a lot of Metriaclima species in the tank, I would eliminate the estherae because they crossbreed easily with yellow labs and hybrid fry can be a problem if you have survivors. Five species in a 72" tank is just right.
Where did you get the species list they have from? Another thread, am I missing something? I'm also missing where the 125G became an option. I'm so confused, back to bed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fogelhund said:
DJRansome said:
Fogelhund said:
Probably one, or zero. For it to work at all, would require specific fish, and stocking, not random fish.
Plus one.

You already have six species, one of each. When you keep males and females (recommended) you need large groups of females per male because these fish are harem breeders. The male will harass a lone female possibly to death attempting to spawn, even when she is already holding fry. If you have 4 or more females he can spread the aggression among them and prevent the death of any one fish or the illness of many fish.

You could get a 125G 72" long tank and stock something like this:
1m:4f red zebras, a.k.a. Metriaclima estherae
1m:4f 1 blue zebra, a.k.a. Metriaclima callainos
1m:4f 1 yellow lab, a.k.a. Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f 1 albino socolofi, a.k.a. Pseudotropheus socolofi
1m:7f johanni a.k.a. Melanochromis johannii
1m:7f maison reef a.k.a. Metriaclima sp. "Zebra Chilumba" (Maison Reef)

You have a lot of Metriaclima species in the tank, I would eliminate the estherae because they crossbreed easily with yellow labs and hybrid fry can be a problem if you have survivors. Five species in a 72" tank is just right.
Where did you get the species list they have from? Another thread, am I missing something? I'm also missing where the 125G became an option. I'm so confused, back to bed.
125 unfortunately is not an option at the moment financially... going to go with the 75 I believe...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,491 Posts
Then I would do this:
1m:4f blue zebra, a.k.a. Metriaclima callainos
1m:4f yellow lab, a.k.a. Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f albino socolofi, a.k.a. Pseudotropheus socolofi
1m:7f johanni a.k.a. Melanochromis johannii
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,206 Posts
DJRansome said:
Then I would do this:
1m:4f blue zebra, a.k.a. Metriaclima callainos
1m:4f yellow lab, a.k.a. Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f albino socolofi, a.k.a. Pseudotropheus socolofi
1m:7f johanni a.k.a. Melanochromis johannii
OP, did you want breeding groups? Or did you just want to find out if your fish would work in a 75 gallon? Would you prefer something like this, or just some random fish swimming in a tank?

This is going to be too many fish for a 75 gallon though. Unless it was massively overfiltered and weekely 50% water changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DJRansome said:
Then I would do this:
1m:4f blue zebra, a.k.a. Metriaclima callainos
1m:4f yellow lab, a.k.a. Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f albino socolofi, a.k.a. Pseudotropheus socolofi
1m:7f johanni a.k.a. Melanochromis johannii
So you're saying 23 total correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fogelhund said:
DJRansome said:
Then I would do this:
1m:4f blue zebra, a.k.a. Metriaclima callainos
1m:4f yellow lab, a.k.a. Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f albino socolofi, a.k.a. Pseudotropheus socolofi
1m:7f johanni a.k.a. Melanochromis johannii
OP, did you want breeding groups? Or did you just want to find out if your fish would work in a 75 gallon? Would you prefer something like this, or just some random fish swimming in a tank?

This is going to be too many fish for a 75 gallon though. Unless it was massively overfiltered and weekely 50% water changes.
Little bit of both, breeding and different breeds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,206 Posts
Releasethekracken said:
Fogelhund said:
DJRansome said:
Then I would do this:
1m:4f blue zebra, a.k.a. Metriaclima callainos
1m:4f yellow lab, a.k.a. Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f albino socolofi, a.k.a. Pseudotropheus socolofi
1m:7f johanni a.k.a. Melanochromis johannii
OP, did you want breeding groups? Or did you just want to find out if your fish would work in a 75 gallon? Would you prefer something like this, or just some random fish swimming in a tank?

This is going to be too many fish for a 75 gallon though. Unless it was massively overfiltered and weekely 50% water changes.
Little bit of both, breeding and different breeds
If you could pick three types, out of the ones you have now, that you could get more of, which ones would those be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My maison reef died today, effects from the fish stores water parameters, I got him last week, im thinking of getting the sweedish super red hongi, so maybe replace the maison reef... but if I had to pick 3, maison reef, sweedish super red hongi, and either the johanni or yellow lab... too many red zebras may cause issues
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top