Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on turning my 180 into a cichlid tank. The footprint is 6x2x2. As for filtration I am using a FX5, and an XP4. How many cichlids could I put in there? Right now I have 5 yellow labs, 4 rusties, 2 red zebras, 5 colbolt blue zebras in a 55 gallon. I also have about 25 demasonis fry in a grow out tank. With this information, how many more fish do you think I could put in there? Also what else would be a nice addition to this tank? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
372 Posts
5 species would be good. I would put all 25 dems in and up the numbers of the other species to about 10 of each, if you still want to keep those.

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
I would shoot for mature numbers of 20 Demasoni and 5 (1m:4f) of everything else. Note that the labs/estherae will crossbreed and the estherae/callainos will crossbreed and fight. So maybe don't save fry from this tank and get a group of 5-6 synodontis multipunctatus for fry control.

I had stocking like that in my 72" tank for two years and it was a great tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. If I get rid of the red zebras, and the cobalt zebras, I will be left with the labs, rusties, and dems. What else would work well in the tank? Sorry, I am new to the mbuna. Also how big would the dems need to be before I add them in the main tank? Right now they are about an inch or so, and in a grow out tank by themselves.
Thanks
MikeF

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
You could keep the cobalts (Metriaclima callainos). Without the estherae in there they would be OK. Some suggestion are:
Pseudotropheus acei
Pseudotropheus socolofi albino
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos Maingano

1 - 5 of 5 Posts