Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want 6-8 yellow labs and plenty of dems as *** heard the more of them the easier they are to keep.

I have a 48" long x 15" x 18" tank.

Will be setting it up when i sort the inhabitants out.

I am aware that only 2 species is advisable, but is there no possible way of adding a 3rd species?

Advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If your tank is 48x15 you could add a third species to labs & demasoni if you pick the right species, like Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusties).

Roughly I would say 5 labs, 12 demasoni and 5 rusties.

Or were you hoping for a specific third species?

Some have been able to keep fewer than a dozen demasni but most get WWIII below this number. 12 is a lot of fish, even if they are small, so it's advisable that a third species be on the small side.

kevin

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would really like a 3rd species, and i know i can be specific with choosing the 3rd species as the dems are aggressive. I was hoping around 15-18 dems, really would like more labs, or is it best for them to be in 5's

Rustys sound good, but open to more options, they aint the most colourful fish so they arent.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think you'll be fine adding a 3rd. Depends on the numbers of the first two species.

The yellow contrasting with the blue on blue vertical bars will be great.

Me, I like the RZ's (and yes, crossbreeding will happen) - some don't. You could go with an albino species. I think the 5 is the min, you can go more of course - depending on load/size of fish.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Rusties vary. Some can look like this.

You could certainly go with 18 dems and 7-8 labs, but I would call that a full tank.

But seriously, after establishing a tank with those numbers you won't feel the need for a third species - it will be beautiful to watch.

The other option would be about 5 Synodontis lucipinnis - an entertaining catfish.

kevin

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glaneon said:
I think you'll be fine adding a 3rd. Depends on the numbers of the first two species.

The yellow contrasting with the blue on blue vertical bars will be great.

Me, I like the RZ's (and yes, crossbreeding will happen) - some don't. You could go with an albino species. I think the 5 is the min, you can go more of course - depending on load/size of fish.
The labs and dems, will be young when i buy them. So they will all be small.
But then as they get bigger would more than 5 labs be too much?

What are RZ's?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ridley25 said:
Rusties vary. Some can look like this.

You could certainly go with 18 dems and 7-8 labs, but I would call that a full tank.

But seriously, after establishing a tank with those numbers you won't feel the need for a third species - it will be beautiful to watch.

The other option would be about 5 Synodontis lucipinnis - an entertaining catfish.

kevin
18 dems sound brill, i would really love the 7-8 labs as they are my favourite fish.

Yes got my eye on those lucipinnis aswell, are they confused with petricola or something?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
aaronjunited said:
Yes got my eye on those lucipinnis aswell, are they confused with petricola or something?
I believe they're very similar. You could also do S. multipuntatus, but I think they get bigger than the other two.

And RZs are Red Zebras, aka Metriaclima estherae.

kevin

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Not for a 48" tank. They are notorious for crossing with labs but I've never kept them together. Your results may vary.

But again, although doable, if you want bigger lab & dem numbers I would skip them.

kevin

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So at the moment, 5 labs 1m 4f, 12-15 dems, 3-5 lucipinnis
and how many red zebra's? 1m 4f aswell?

i will also add, that i will be able to do as many water changes that is necessary as i do realise this would be a bit over crowded, but it would be nicer with all these species.

I'l make sure there is plenty of spaces to hide and get away.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Those numbers sound good to me.

If you're buying juveniles sexing the mbuna will be very difficult. If that's the case, make sure you have an LFS or other hobbyists that will take your hyper-dominant/hyper-submissive/extra males and get (rough numbers):
10 labs
10 zebras
15 demasoni
Then thin your stock until you achieve peace and/or get to 1m/4f with the Labs & Zebras - which ever comes first.

You can use this Binomial Distribution Calculator to figure out your chances of getting 4 females from any purchased group.

kevin

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Those are starting numbers with juvenile fish to get you to approximately:
5 labs
5 zebras
12 demasoni
5 synos

kevin

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Oh, start with normal numbers if you are buying fish that can be reliably sexed.

It's just that these fish are usually older/bigger and therefore much more expensive.

kevin

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I like it because I've GOT it. :lol:

I keep only female zebras and that way I can save the lab fry.

Good advice on numbers. 15 demasoni, 1m:4f labs and 1m:4f estherae.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts