Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am keeping my Mbuna in a 48" X 18" X 18" tank. The fish list is as follows:

Auratus (5 fish, 1 showing male coloration 4 in female coloration, the male colored one a 2 others are around 2.5" the other 2 are around 1.5")

Kenyi (6 fish, 1 starting to show male coloration, 5 in female coloration, the male colored one a 4 others are around 2.5" with 1 around 1")

Yellow labs (5 fish, 4 are around 2.5" and 1 around 1.5")

Albino Socolofi (6 fish, all are around 2.5" - 3")

I want to know if this many fish are OK for this sized tank or do I need to cut-back on my stock???

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Really, you want it crowded. Sort of a fine line between crowded but still keeping decent water quality thru water changes.

You may have to remove some extra males, and some females may die eventually from stress.... so there will probably be some attrition.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply noki...

No I don't want it crowded, thats why I asked if the stock is OK or if I need to reduce it...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
No, with mbuna, you have to have it crowded. Especially with fish like auratus and kenyi. If you're understocked in anyway, they'll likely pick out individuals and harass them to death. I'd actually probably dump the labs (you have enough yellow) and bump your auratus and kenyi to 1m:6-7f each.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
There are two ways of keeping Mbuna the crowded method at about 24 fish per 90 g tank and the natural method which is about 2-8 fish per 5 foot tank. The compromise method just is rubbish. Take your choice.
Going for the a lowly stocked Mbuna tank unless the tank is very big leads to less sucess than crowding em.
For a 48" x18" x18" I would for sure go for Mbuna that are less hassle and spiky than the ones you are going for but I would for sure not go for lower numbers. If anything you have too few of these guys rarthar than too many. Saying that many of those guys would do best in 6 foot tanks. :wink:
All the best James

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Natural method? 2 mbuna in a 5' tank? That's a joke; they'd slaughter each other. I can see 8 - a single colony of 1m:7f, but "natural method"? I don't get the terminology...

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I have kept and bred Tropheus and Mbuna two per 5 foot tank. You use lots of rocks so the smaller female has plenty of hiding places the male can not get into. You hardly see the female except when feeding or brooding.

The method is used for breeding up rare mutants that you can only get hold of individuals of (or back in the 70s when any Tropheus imports were so rare all you could get were single fish) or other rare imports of adults where one male and one female is all that exists.

I dunno why its called the natural method. Poss because the fish have the room they would in the wild and the female is left to look after the young. Yep you need a lot of space and rockwork, so the male does not kill the female.

As the females hold territories in sparsly populated tanks and fight 2 or three of em is not a good option, yep 6 or more is needed for the next step in breeding up the numbers of rare imports.

All the best James
PS I agree with Noki. You will prob get more agression if you reduce your stock. 24 Mbuna per tank is a better than 12.
Thing is you have 4 species. Most agression is within species. So I would only go for a max of three breeding species in this tank size of 48x18x18 and have more females of each species.

If dead set on breeding all 4 in the same tank I would get more females of each to get 8-12 of each in total and pop em all in a 6 footer as they reach breeding size at about 3". Some will continue to grow far beyond this later, 5"+.
You have two of the real nice looking but nasty Mbuna in auratus and lombardoi. Hard to keep (long term) in a community in a four foot tank whatever you do.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks dielikemoviestars and 24tropheus... from your input it looks as if I need to get rid of 1 of the species and if I have to chose I will say it will be the Labs... and at the same time you say I need to up my stock for the other species to around 10 each...

Am I correctly interpreting???

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
monisaab said:
thanks dielikemoviestars and 24tropheus... from your input it looks as if I need to get rid of 1 of the species and if I have to chose I will say it will be the Labs... and at the same time you say I need to up my stock for the other species to around 10 each...

Am I correctly interpreting???
Yep. It is not going to be an easy ride with the three you going for but possible I think. Worst case scenario you will end up with a breeding bunch of the two most aggressive being M.lombardoi and M.auratus the two best sellers in LFSs as they look real good while still young and have big batches of young.

On second thoughts I bet the lombardoi or the auratus will dominate and breed most. Its not a science but an art and things are not totally predictable.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so far its the socolofi that is the Boss...

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I guess thats a size thing and may well change but a good thing if keeping those three together.
auratus and lombardoi are often right pains when biggest and dominant.

All the best James

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
may be...

thanks James...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts