Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody.

I'm wondering if i'm the only one with this problem, I really don't know how many fish i have. I'm siting here in front of my 500L tank and i decided to list them all
Here goes. Starting with the biggest working down.
4 synoontis multipunctatus 7 to 5 inch
1 red tail blackshark 6 inch
1 Red Empress male 6 inch
2 Jacobfreiburg male 6 inch
3 lithobates 1 m & 2f , 5 & 6 inches
1 Baenchi male 6 inch
1 Stuartgrant blue neon male 6 inch
1 OB male 6 inch
1 female peacock which i bought hormoned and looked like a male stuartgrant blue neon, 5 inch
1 C moori female 5 inch
7 Yellow labs 6 to 4 inches
1 trewavasae 4 inches
3 acei blackfin 1 m 2f , 4 inch
1 dragonsblood 4 inch male
2 tropheus ( duboisi & benga ) 3 inch
12 demasoni 3 to 4 inch
6 Mel johanni 2 inch
So many yellow labs I can't count that are 1 inch or less.

So at least 68
So am i the only one with this situation?
Oh and a bristlenose catfish that i have never seen but does a great job cleaning rocks

·
Registered
625 Posts
68 fish in 130 gallons of water? Wow. Can we get a picture of this set up? What kind of filtration are you running?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but a lot of them are small and i have a huge amount of rocks. i will try to get some photoes tomorrow.
I use a FX5 3500LPH and an Eheim pro 2 2026 650LPH so i have a total turnover of 4150 Litres per hour. I also have a juwel pump that has 1000 LPH set up to provide more currant.

G

·
lots of rocks mean lots of water displaced so you dont even have 130 gallons.. and 125 gallon tank only holds an actual 100gallons of water.. *** tested it... i mean im not one to talk i have 50 or so fish actually more including plecos and catfish in my 125.. but i do weekly water changes and have 2 big sponge filters and a fluval 405 and marineland 350 hob.. and alot of the fish are juveniles growing out.. test your nitrates.. thats the end all be all as far as having too many fish are concerned.. if you do a water change and your nitrates are still too high.. you have too many fish

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
At some point soon, you'll definitely want to tear down the tank and remove the babies. There are too many fish in the tank.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm waiting until it becomes a problem i'm using aggresion as an inicator. Nitrates aren't an issue, i've checked htey are usually around 50ppm.
Photos will have to wait i'm afraid.

·
Registered
843 Posts
50ppm nitrates sounds high to me--I usually keep mine below or around 20 because I keep plants (which use them up), but more importantly, what are your nitrite and ammonia levels?

And the haps/peacocks in your tank would appreciate some open water to swim in too. They don't hide in rock like Mbuna. So, I might remove some rock and give them more water. I'd also try to oxygenate the water as much as possible with a bubbler and an air stone.

More than likely, with that many fish, you'll might never see much aggression because they can barely swim around. You'll have disease instead. And dead fish. So... watch for that.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
toume said:
50ppm nitrates sounds high to me--I usually keep mine below or around 20
Plus one. 50ppm nitrates? :eek:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I'm sure it's 50ppm. High, but not immediate danger. I'd personally remove some oddballs and double the water changes. I'd also lose all the yellow labs but a few fry.

I've got 30 young adults in a 150, and have to change 1/3 of the water weekly to keep the nitrates @ 25 or so. How much water are you changing and how often?

I'd love to see some pics of all those fish!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My girlfriend is the photographer but she is working nights at thte moment and isn't up to taking photoes.
This is a strange shaped tank. think a triangle 6 foot long by 5 foot by 3 foot and then take off the last foot at the tightest angle . it fits between a chimney breast and a door which opens away from the tank. I decided to build my tank from the edge of the chimey to the door frame. it is 30 inches tall.

Here is an old photo.

These are old photoes, I sold some of the biggest haps to get the demasonis.

Do you really think 50 ppm is high for the nitrate it comes out of the tap at 20ppm, my angelfish tank is the same an the angels are breeding, my shrimp are a plague, . I also have a reef tank and my limit on that is 20ppm but usually 10ppm. I use the API brand tests am i mixing up the numbers,
Edit
I just checked I meant between 20 and 40.
My ammonia is always 0 as are nitite.
pH 8.2

G

·
brinkles said:
I'm sure it's 50ppm. High, but not immediate danger. I'd personally remove some oddballs and double the water changes. I'd also lose all the yellow labs but a few fry.

I've got 30 young adults in a 150, and have to change 1/3 of the water weekly to keep the nitrates @ 25 or so. How much water are you changing and how often?

I'd love to see some pics of all those fish!
dude 50ppm of nitrites would def kill your fish.. the scale only goes up to 10.0 ppm on the test strips.. you are thinking of nitrates.. not nitrites

G

·
u know what im bugging u did say nitrates... sorry... and yea mine are usually around 40 with over 50 fish in a 125 and i do weekly 25% water changes and everyone is happy..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about the clarily, I had just fed them with flake to get the fry out swimming. They are quick little buggers.

A long shot from the kitchen

1 - 17 of 17 Posts