Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , I am trying to work out my stock list for my new tank. But it seems everywhere I look i get different numbers for a 55g tank. Everywhere from a high of 25-30 fish to a low of 12?
the following list is what I would like to have and from there (with some help) I can work out wht I can have.

Pseudotropheus saulosi
Iodotropheus spregerae
Cynotilipia afra (jalo reef)
labidchromis caerieus (kakusa)

I am hoping to keep these with an average of 1m- 4f

Is this completely out of line?

Help please.

·
Registered
464 Posts
3 species in a 55 1m 4f depending what specie you get like with dems or mainganos you would want way more

·
Registered
34 Posts
pick 3 of the 4 you want and get 1 male and 3-4 females of each(or 5 or 6 babies and go from there). however if you choose saulosi do not get afra...and vice versa...they both have similar blue barring and can cross breed/have aggression issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bare with , I am totally new to cichlids. Why only three species? Also why can't the saulosi be mixed with the afra? I get the bars but the afra hasa black body I thought that this would be enough difference to avoid conflict. This was also because according to Cichlid Compatiblity chart.

Granted just because somebody puts a fancy chart on the net doesn't make it true.

Thanks,

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am also gettin a 55 gallon tank..I spoke with my local fish store guy and he said that I could get up to 25 in a 55 gallon with 5 species and 5 of each one...is this true? I want my tank to be stocked but not over crowed.......

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Blue-tinted body with black bars on both the afra and saulosi. That's enough of a reason for them to want to beat on one another.

That said... I'd drop the yellow labs from your initial plan. Yellow labs are yellow with black fins, saulosi females are yellow. A prettier yellow, in my opinion. I'd go something like 3m:8f saulosi, 1m:5f rusties.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had considered dropping the labs, because as you say the female saulosi are stunning. I wanted the afra because I wanted more blue. I hadn't even thought of try a larger group of the saulosi with multiple males. I thought that would be more trouble than it was worth. But its something to consider.

·
Registered
705 Posts
nothing cichlid is set in stone sir. were just giving u humble opinions based on first hand experience and what has been generally posted all over. 3 species is typically enough for a 55. obviously its your tank so if u wanna spend the cash and "try" more then its your dime. just realize u have been forwarned. just my two cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts