Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right....

Stock lists aside, I am going to be adding to my new 75-g very soon.. I am gonna start with juveniles, and have been told very often that adding them all at once is the way to go....but I want to balance this with not having my fish die all at once, too.

I have a Aquaclear 110, a marineland 400, and a 110-gal sponge filter. I am thinking of adding about 25 2-3 inch juveniles.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
656 Posts
25 sounds like a lot, maybe pick 10-15 of the less aggressive fish on your list, let them settle in, then test water and determine if the tank is handling the bio-load, then add the rest

·
Registered
374 Posts
Are you going to try to cycle your tank at all before you add the fish? You could save your fish a lot of stress by doing a fishless cycle first (see the Cichlid Chemistry section of the Library). Then I would recommend following the advice of shellies125. The problem is the cycle goes very slowly at the beginning (and the fish suffer), but then once it gets started, it goes much faster.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am nearly finished with a fishless cycle. I put 10 frozen shrimp in a knee-high sock (I wanted there to be an a**load of decomposition). Ammonia spiked and is now at 0.0-0.25 ppm (in between there), nitrite is spiking.....algae growing on my rock (110 lbs of limestone/base rock).

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
What did the ammonia peak at? If it was at least 1ppm or so, then you can add 25 juvies just fine IME. Just don't get tempted to tinker with the filter for a good 45-60 days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ammonia was at 5ppm before it dropped to where it is now. I have not changed the water, but I did throw another shrimpy in there today (really trying to push the filters to grow bacteria, figure why not without fish in there).

When you say "tinker" can you be specific? Do you mean do not change the carbon? Can I do water changes?

·
Banned
406 Posts
I did a fishless cycle using ammonia and I always added 5ppm worth of ammonia, the last 3 days or so I added 1ppm worth. When it was completed I added 14 fish: 6x-2" labs / 3x-3" peacocks / 5x-4"+ peacocks. Just my opinion but as long as you cycle with a large amount of ammonia you should be fine.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
ProfBob said:
The ammonia was at 5ppm before it dropped to where it is now. I have not changed the water, but I did throw another shrimpy in there today (really trying to push the filters to grow bacteria, figure why not without fish in there).

When you say "tinker" can you be specific? Do you mean do not change the carbon? Can I do water changes?
If you cycled to 5ppm, you can fully stock with no problems at all. That's a boatload of ammonia and you've got bio to burn.

I simply mean don't clean the filter or add/remove media because someone suggested something else besides what you're using or, etc... New filters on tanks of juvies don't need it, and it can do more harm than good.

Definitely do the water changes, but I wouldn't go overboard at first. I like to strart easy with any changes to a new tank. See that the fish are ok with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, just to be clear, you are saying don't add new filter material (as in replace), but if I were to add a hang-on filter to start to cycle for a fry tank, that would be fine? (Ie, so it can grab bacteria from my display).

Thanks for your help, btw.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hey ProfBob,
Don't want to speak for prov356,but dont clean your filter or replace any media in that filter thats established,
adding a filter will be fine,as you wont have to worry about fry or injured or agressive fish for awhile anyway,
after amonia and nitrites zero out,check your nitrates to see where thats at before adding your juvies,if theyre high reduce with a water change

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
ProfBob said:
So, just to be clear, you are saying don't add new filter material (as in replace), but if I were to add a hang-on filter to start to cycle for a fry tank, that would be fine? (Ie, so it can grab bacteria from my display).

Thanks for your help, btw.
Yes, adding a filter to use for another tank is fine, as newforestrob said. :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the fishes have been in for about a week. I am cautious to say how many are in there for fear of backlash.....but my water parameters are good....0.12 ammonia (added some Prime today), 0 nitrite, 20-30 ppm nitrate....pH 8.2.

Yeah. My Demasoni waited about 16 hours to spawn. I've got a female holding in a 5-day old (w/fish) tank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
10% WC, 24 hours later:

Ammonia: 0.0 PPM
Nitrite: 0.0 PPM
Nitrate: 5.0 PPM

And now, I've been watching a Demasoni male and an auratus female breed this evening. Interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts