Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be purchaseing a 29 gallon bowfront soon with an aqua clear 50 and a aquaclear 30 my substrate will be play sand and i will have a bout 10 - 20 lbs of rock so my questions is how many female convicts can fit in this tank i dont not want any males because of fry i dont reallly wanna deal with fry at the moment so i was thinking like 5 females ?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I have friend who keeps 3 adult female convicts in a 55G. There are no other fish in the tank, and their fins still look pretty frayed since they are nipping each others. To tell you the truth, seeing those three makes me wonder if an all female convict tank is really a good idea, but you can always give it a try.

Best of luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya ima take a risk and see how it goes im goona try 5 some guy on youtube had 7 in a 10 gallon and supposely they lived for 2 years in that tank but im not gonna even try that so 5 in a 29 gallon sounds decent

G

·
I have two females in my my 40g and they love it they don't nip too much but theres always going to be some aggression. I think 5 is good for a 29g if you start having really bad problems then you can just move the trouble makers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If any, I would do three. Five just sounds like it could end up bad. Don't really take everything you see on youtube as gold, I have seen many videos recently of people with 29 gallon "African Cichlid tanks" with Fronts mixed with mbuna with the occasional peacock.

Dosen't necessarily translate into a win win situation all the time.

G

·
I agree with ZackG 3 is a good number and personally I wouldn't do 5. I have the 2 females but I also got a male with them he ended p getting moved to a 10g because he was tearing the females fins apart. If you get females make sure you are getting females and not both genders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts