Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just broke down my all male tank since WW3 started and everyone decided to attack each other. Looking into purchasing som Discus.

How many can I fit comfortably? 5 foot long X 2 foot wide X 2.5 foot High..

I was thinking 9? Weird question but better to odd or even # or doesn't matter?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Odd or even is really a personal preference. 9 Discus would be fine. The gallonage is pretty irrelevant in my experience. For me, it's all about room for the inevitable pairing and all the "extra fish".

E.g. you can fit more into a 6ft 180g tank than you can a 5ft 180g tank (generally speaking).

Now, there are some ways to help out... e.g. put a breeding cone on one side fo the tank and tall plants like lily plants or vals that will head up the height of the tank. Fake plants will work if this isn't going to be a planted Discus setup.

Personally, I would buy a dozen younger Discus and grow them out in this tank with a plan to add substrate, plants, etc. over time. In the beginning, I'd likely go with just driftwood and barebottom. Starboard can work very well to avoid the shiny glass floor look.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not doing a planted tank, though my tank has a sand substrate already and is fully cycled. I was thinking 9-12 as well. Have you ever kept any neons, cory's, or clown loaches with your discus?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
neons and cory cats yes, loaches no. I was advised by the pros to stay away from loaches as not overly compatible with Discus' feeding habits.

Neons were eaten by one Discus... Black Neons lasted forever as did Cardinals.

Cory cats were compatible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Harlequin rasboras work well too for an attactive schooling fish or if you wanted to go really cheap, white clouds look great as a group. All will do well to keep your discus in the open.

Even in a discus tank i have not had any luck with Neon or Cardinals so I quit trying.
Cories are awesome, I have about 3 or 4 different species in my tank and they all loosely school.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts