Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the question states, how many apistogrammas would you shoot for in a 5 foot tank? I'm not sure which species I want, something that will offer a lot of con specific interactions. Could you also give the M/F ratios.

Currently the tank has keyhole cichlids and L. Dorsigera, but I want to remove those. Trying to get a feel of what I could do if I decided to replace them with apistogrammas.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Species makes a difference. Got a pic of the tank. Having distinct territories and hiding spots is essential. In my planted 75(4ft) I keep 5 apistos and 3 c regani. It is heavily planted though.

There is no breeding, since the c regani eat any eggs or fry.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two distinct territories with multiple spawning sites in each. I'm fairly good at setting up defined territories and I can change things around to make it work.

I am not sure how many I should shoot for. The apistogrammas would be the only bottom dwellers.

I want to do one of the harem spawners.

·
Registered
697 Posts
It all depends on the setup. You could do a hundred with a thick matt of cover. I would just get a couple pairs. Add a ton of wood, leaf litter and some thickly planted areas and let the apistos breed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow. Nice tank. I'd stick with no more than two distinct species of apistos. 2 to 5, m to f each. Place numerous buried small bisected clay pots at the base of the plants with entrances facing away from each other.

If you can control yourself - I'd find it difficult - stay with one apisto species and fill up the top of the tank with nonagressive dithers like rummy nose or cardinal / neon tetras.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys,

No apistos yet, but I did find a source. I should be hearing from him soon and then I will know what my options are as far as species.

I am going to stick with one apisto species. Have not decided if I want to do 1 male or 2. I'm thinking that 1 male to 4-5 females would make for an interesting tank. Whats your opinions on one male vs two males?

I will take the advice and try to hide some shards of flower pots in the plants and behind the driftwood. I assume it won't hurt anything to cover the tops with substrate so I won't see them? The tank is in my living room so appearance is important.

For dithers I am set on keeping my black skirt tetras. You have to see the effect they have in person, their neutral colors really bring out the plants and gives the tank a natural feel.

Thanks for all the compliments and advice!
Aaron

·
Registered
291 Posts
My LFS really lacksin the dwarf cichlid region but about two weeks ago they got some yellow body orange flash cacatuoides and I had to buy a new tank for them. They are gorgeous looking. Now I too dream of a huge tank with dwarf cichlids in it. :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any reason you would shoot for two males? Is five feet enough room for two males to have a territory? Seems hit or miss.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Looking at the current tank, I would stock with one male and three or four females. This should give the females large enough territories, particularly if you have some successful spawns. The only thing I would add, and I know it may detract from your show tank, are some small branchy pieces of wood with java moss (or any type moss) tied to them.

Any idea what apistos are available to you at the moment?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree DeadFish,

I am sure I will have plenty of entertainment with 4 females, although two males would offer some neat interactions.

The fellow has not contacted me yet. I am tempted to go with cacatuoides because they are cheap and readily available.

What other harem spawning apistogrammas would work? I know the guy gets in some rarer stuff.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The males aren't the problem come spawning time, it's the females. I would anticipate each needing 18" square each, or 324 sq inches. Females with fry are much more territorial and aggressive towards other apistos than any male will ever be. I would not mix species either. Is it doable? Maybe. But you would have to make sure the two species are from different types; ex: a caucatoides species and an agassizi species MIGHT work.

Your tank looks great, btw. Very nice aquascape.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!

Yeah I am just going to go with three females, maybe four. That way they should have plenty of space to protect their brood.

I am not going to mix species.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Apsitos are fine with other dwarf cichlids provided they are not competing for the same spawning sites or territories.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would a pair of L. dorsigera and a few keyholes (only 4 left, Not sure I will have a pair) and a harem of apistos have sufficient territory in a 60"x18" footprint?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
My experience with Keyholes and apistos is that they are fine together, however I can not say the same with Dorsigera. My Dorsigera killed any other dwarf cichlid placed in with them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts