Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a pulled a stupid newbie move and added some fish to my tank without doing the proper quarantine (my quarantine tank wasn't set up due to recently moving. You can bet it is set up now!) and caught a case of Ich. I think I caught it fairly early. Last Wednesday I noticed a few fish with a mild amount of white spots and some other fish flashing, yawning/coughing, and labored breathing. I vacuumed the substrate, did a large water change, added the proper amount of aquarium salt, gradually raised the temp to 86 and began dosing the tank with Seachem ParaGaurd. I also added GarlicGaurd to the NLS pellets that I normally feed. I added two powerheads in addition the the two FX4 filters that are normally running on the tank, to help with aerating the water due to lower oxygen levels in the tank from the higher temp, salt and meds.

My daily routine has been to check water parameters, vacuum the substrate, dose with ParaGaurd and feed a small amount of the GarlicGaurd soaked pellets. I lost my awesome Z-Rock in my profile pic on the second day :( , but since then I haven't lost any other fish. As of today no fish have any visible white spots and the flashing, yawning/coughing, and labored breathing has stopped.

How long should I keep up this treatment routine to ensure that I have eradicated the Ich and don't have a second outbreak?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have never personally used Paraguard but its my experience that I either treat with a medication and follow the directions on the bottle or use the salt and heat method but not both at the same time. I think 86 is a little excessive personally and lowering it to 82 would be safer and still effective. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.