Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a little 10g tank with mostly plants and little fish like tetras or whatever catches my eye at the lfs when it is done cycling. I am doing this to quench my need for a tank since i wont have my 29g tank for a couple of weeks cause it is in my old apt. an hour away.

now my question is how long should a tank this small take to cycle before i can start to add fish and plants to it

·
Registered
803 Posts
i had a 29 gal tank cycle in two weeks with two female bettas crapping in it so your ten gal shouldnt take long. if you wanna play it safe buy a cheap fish that looks nice and drop him in, if it dies your not done cycling but if it lives for a few days you should be alright.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It all depends, are you doing a cycle with out any establish filter media or gravel from a establish tank? If your start brand new it usually takes about 4 weeks if not longer to establish a good colony of bacteria.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im starting with brand new everything so i guess im in for a little wait but it is ok cause im still waiting for all of the sand to settle out and for the cloudiness from the sand to dissapear

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.