Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my victorian just had babys 7 days ago n i would like to know how long until i can take them out of the tank that they were born in n move them to a 20 tank just for them?
i got 21 out of this batch!!i was happy.
n also how long should i let a new 20 gallon tank cycle before adding one week old fish?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
are you cycling the tank with fish or ammonia? make sure the tank has no ammonia or nitrite - fry are delicate! I like to cheat and run a filter in the main tank for at least a few weeks.

I like to keep them in a breeding compartment until they seem to be finding food easily, 1-2 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Best would be run the 20G filter on the established tank for 2 weeks.

Second best would be cycle the tank with ammonia. Takes about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I also keep a big, ugly foam filter in the main tank buried in the back of the rock pile. That way, I can put it in anything that holds water and have a cycled tank in an hour if I need it!

If your main tank has more than one filter, you could just switch them out and toss in the fry now. If not, I'd just run the new filter on the main tank as DJRansome suggests.

I just killed off all 30 astatialapia latisfasciata in my growout tank by forgetting to add declorinator, so don't rush things!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts