Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take a holding female's throat to relax?

I have a holding female that I took out of my main tank on Thursday. Friday morning I found 11 fry swimming freely in the tank. I gathered them into a small plastic breeding tray because there was another fish in the holding tank with the female and I was concerned he might go after them. Now 2 days later the females throat still appears swollen. Is this normal or might she be holding further fry? She has been the only fish in this tank for 24 hrs. now.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm still learning myself, but I have had a couple of holding females, and I would say that after all the fry were out, mine returned to a normal appearance in less than a day. If your female still appears to be holding after 2 days, my guess is she did not release all the fry yet. You can wait and see what happens, or you can strip her.

My females have been uncomfortable in a small tank even when alone, and seem to want to pick up the fry that are out.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'd say she's still holding fry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.