Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my Ps. saulosi were holding. A week or so ago, I noticed the one I had thought was further along had apparently spit her babies, as she was eating again. I decided to take her out of the "maternity tank" and strip the other female, as well. When I tried to strip her, a couple of babies came out, but to my dismay they were pretty much just eggs with tails. :-(

I put the mom and babies back into the maternity ward and she did pick them back up again. A couple days later, I noticed a tiny baby hiding in the tank. I figured a fry survived from the first female. About a week passed, and I noticed more fry. Thinking the second mother had begun to spit, and worried I would lose the babies, I decided to strip her to see if she had anything else in her mouth. This time, the babies that came out were further along, but still had egg sacs and had difficulty swimming. I again put them back in the tank, and again she picked them up again.

I assume what happened is that the first female spit, and the second female picked up some of the babies, along with her own. I really have no idea how long the female's been holding, total, so I have no idea when to strip her. It was just yesterday when I tried stripping her, and the babies were not ready, but looked close. Does anyone know how much longer I should wait before trying again?

Usually, it wouldn't be a problem because I have a couple of fry tanks set up, but lately I've been inundated with babies so my other fry tanks are full of babies at various stages of growth. These babies are too tiny to go in either tank. I'm worried the second female will spit and eat them all before I know what's happened.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If I'm going to strip my fish, I don't do it until I know they've been holding for at least 18 days, preferably 20. I never note egg sacs at this stage.

Water temperature also makes a difference in fry development. You'll find they won't develop as quickly in cooler tanks.

Kim

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. :)

I am keeping the tank at 80*F. Is this a good temperature?

I have no idea how long the saulosi has been holding. :oops: I was away on vacation and was told by my fish-sitter that she thought I had "one of the yellow ones" holding. :lol: This was between April 30th - May 2nd. I arrived home on May 3rd to find two of the saulosi holding. I have only ever had experience with my Cyno white tops holding (it seems to me as if it is much easier to tell with them). It is possible the saulosi were holding prior to April 30, but I was a bit distracted (I got married on April 26th) and might have overlooked it. ;-)

Do you feel like it would be safe to wait another week and try again, or should I wait longer (perhaps two more weeks)?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would give it another week and try again. You should be fine.

80 degrees is perfect, so my guess is that you just tried to strip them too early.

Congratulations on your recent marriage! :thumb:

Kim

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the congratulations! Luckily my husband has no problem with my fish obsession. :lol: He married me and my nine tanks!!

As an update, the female spit the rest of the babies on her own on Friday night/Saturday morning. I'm uncertain how many managed to survive, but I've seen at least 10 at a time. That should be a nice number. :thumb: Better than the 50+ white top fry I currently have! :eek:

Thanks again for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts