Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the reason for this question is, i have a farely new tank with 5 cichlids, all about 3" in size. I normally feed them every morning and every night. I fed them saturday morning at 7 a.m and had to go out of town and got home sunday evening and fed them at 6 p.m. found one died on the bottom and completely eaten up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Holding females can go weeks without eating. Missing a feeding or even a few days won't hurt them at all. May want to test your water to make sure everything is fine there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. i will definetely get the water tested but my 4 remaining fish seem to be doing fine and have full color and act normal. how often should the water be tested and how often is it recommended to change the water?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
how often should the water be tested and how often is it recommended to change the water?
Right before I do the weekly 20% partial water change, I test the nitrAte level and the pH.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
20% works for me. My nitrAtes are <10.
Let's see what the nitrates in cshelton78's aquarium are.
:)
Is this tank cycled? I would bet it's not.
Good point.
It would be better for cshelton78 to test for ammonia and nitrItes, as well to get a handle on where the aquarium is now.
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It would help to know how new fairly new is. The tank could still be cycling but it it's also very possible that the fish died as a result of illness from the cycling procees or was ill when purchased.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I go on vacation for anytime a week or less -- I don't have anyone feed my fish. There's several reasons -- like the fact that it will help clear out their digestive tract as well as the fact that they will feed on the algae and microorganisms.

·
Registered
183 Posts
fightingfish said:
dielikemoviestars said:
20%?

I'd do at least 40-50% weekly...

Is this tank cycled? I would bet it's not.
i think 40% to 50% is to much water to change...........
Understandable. I do 60-70% changes and haven't lost a fish yet in the process (that includes fry, which are more sensitive). On the con side, sometimes I see them "twitch" or sit on the bottom when I do it, so I have some reservations as well.

Now I tend to put in more dechlorinator than instructed and I've been scaling back on my buffer recipe. This has eliminated much of the problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
haibane said:
With your stock list you probably are going to have fish dieing regularly as that's too small for them
Who, me? That hasn't been my experience so far.

I actually lost a couple fish back when I had a smaller stocking list (~30 fish) to aggression; it's been smooth so far for a few months with a higher stocking list. I am, however, interested in removing some fish later though to reduce the bioload, perhaps when teh acei become huge. I REALLY like the low aggression level right now, but it's a struggle to maintain low nitrates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.