Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking with many I have changed my tank and it is now home to the following:
3 Mono albino
2 catfish gray with black spots
2 plecos
2 clown loaches
3 OB peacocks 1M 2F
3 strawberry peacocks 1M 2F
3 ruby red peacocks 1M 2F
5 yellow labs 1 M 4 F (I think)
2 black calvus 1M 1F

They are in a 75 gallon tank and are pretty small 1- 21/2 inches.

Just wondering what you think?

·
Super Moderator
40,540 Posts
What will you do with the fry? Doesn't the mono get too big? What kind of catfish is it?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Well, you have a mix that may turn out to be more trouble than anything else. Monos are really a brackish water fish, as adults they typically do not do well in fresh water. Then you have three different peacocks, so there is a huge possibility of crossbreeding. You won't be able to do anything with the fry because you won't be able to guarantee they are pure, in a relative sense.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mono are maybe 21/2 to 3 inches in height and have had them for about 7 months and are doing just fine. Chase each other but leave the cichlids alone. I am not planing on breeding the fish. If it happens the fry will be fish food. Females are to keep males coloured up. The catfish are african. For get the name, they are greenish gray, black spots all over with a high sail like dorsal fin.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Peacocks will colour without females just as well, hopefully them poor females aren't harrassed to death like in most cases. My opinion is get rid of the females and have an all male tank, Females aren't needed and you are loosing out in the colour department to.

The catfish sounds like a synodontis Euruptus. (Featherfin) If it's these guys you will have no trouble with them, don't expect them to breed though

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I would remove the female peacocks and add in some more small haps for color. Go with an all male hap/peacock tank. Suggestions would be O. lithobates, S. fryeri, and Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwan Reef). Your group of yellow labs should be fine regardless of the ratios (M/F). If they have not been vented then your 1M/4F is not likely to be very accurate. Bright yellow bodies with dark black fins are seen on male and female alike.

I would still encourage you to remove the Monos.

The catfish might help with fry control, but you should still expect to see some survive. Removing the females would be the best solution here, and as suggested above, will allow you to add more males for more color.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My LFS is the one that is telling me if I do not have females then the males will not colour up or be as colourful. If I can have an all male tank and the males be colourful that would be preferred as I do not want any breeding. Do they males co exist fairly well? Do I keep the same number as I have know? Do the males need to be very different? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Dold said:
My LFS is the one that is telling me if I do not have females then the males will not colour up or be as colourful.
Your LFS is mistaken.
If I can have an all male tank and the males be colourful that would be preferred as I do not want any breeding. Do they males co exist fairly well? Do I keep the same number as I have now? Do the males need to be very different? Thanks for the help.
What you do is get more males than you need, and then weed out the ones you do not want later. Not all the males will fully color up, and not all the males will get along. Having females is more likely to make one of the males hyperdominate in order to claim the females. This will make all the other males color down.

You will want to avoid fish with similar color patterns, as this can lead to a fish becoming subdominate. You may also have to swap out a few fish until everything is working well. However, it is a very workable system with a 75 gallon tank, and I would encourage you to go this route. You can have a lot of fun with this project, I know I would.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I agree with Dave.

Hopefully you can tell which females are which now, if you do take them back to the LFS :?

Oh and by the way, if i am correct about the catfish you are keeping they are actually of asian decent, not that it's a problem. You should post a pic of them :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.