Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55G African setup going right now. Had it up and running for about 7-8 months, but thinking I might want to go another route.

I know I can use all the equipment and everything, but would I be able to just throw some Angels in the existing tank?
Or would I have to do a little cleaning and such?

I also assume that most Angel-Tanks don't have the massive rock piles/caves like I currently have. So I'd have to take out all the rocks, or most. Right?

How many Angels could you do in a 55G, maybe 4-5?
But also along with some other smaller fish?

Hmmm... :-?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am no Pro by any means. But a few questions.

I assume you have Lace rock as the "Rocks" in your tank?

What substrate do you have just sand, Rocks OR crushed coral?

If u have coral u will have to switch to sand or something close.

As for the rocks u can leave them in there. Just line them up at the back of the tank and add a few large leafed plants.

You could do 1 Pair of angels and another pair of fish or 2 pairs of angels.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Depending on the substrate, maybe switch that, I would pull rocks and replace with driftwood and /or plants. Angels will do better with slightly softer and more neutral ph water conditions, so, things like lime stone and crushed coral won't help.

A small group of juvies would be great, when they start pairing off to spawn, you can decide at that point if you have room for more than a pair. As far as tankmates, nothing too small, and, nothing too nippy. A lot of the taller bodied tetras are great, you may get away with Rummy nose tetras, but, they are slim boddied, so, no guarantees on an outcome there.

Good luck and keep us posted :popcorn:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Rocks I have are more of a circular type...

I have pool filter sand for substrate. I forgot that Angels like the PH lower, mine is currently like 8.4

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Gumbo_Ghost,

I like the rocks in your tank; where did you get them?. Those rocks should not significantly affect the softness/hardness of your water. Although you don’t need all those rocks, I would leave in a few small piles.

Is your PH 8.4 straight out of the tap? Or do you treat it with something in your filter or water? I would test your water out of the tap after being treated with the de-clorinizer you use.

Driftwood could help lower your PH, depending on the buffering capacity of your water. It may also stain your water a bit with tannins (i.e. will not look as crystal clear as it does now).

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got them from a landscaping place.
The tap water here is like 8.4-8.6, right out of the tap.

I've never tested it after a few hours or anything, but I know it being so high might cause a problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same situation with my water being a very high ph which was ok for my africans / centrals but now that I have a angels tank / rams I have to get R/O water from a local pet store add some 7.0 ph buffer switched all my crush coral african substrate to a regular marine sand and add alot of driftwood and tons of plants in the tank. Im not sure what the max ph angels will take but I think 8.4-8.6 may be a high I use around a 6.8-7.2 and they seem to be doing great , hope this helps a bit.

Here is a picture of my tank
5 : Platinum Pearl Scale's

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice tank...
I want to definitely have it heavily planted, but I'm not sure about my lighting situation. I bought this LED set a few months ago.
The "Double Bright" with the moonlight strip. I think it has 23.5 Total watts.

Would that be enough to do any plant-life?

Also, I'm going to see what the stores do for water, since it's kind of high PH everywhere where I live.
Maybe they'll be more conditioned for high ph?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use ro water in my angel tank because we have a rodi at home- I mix it with treated tap water to help the plants. In my experience local bred angels will be better adjusted to your water so see if you can get those. Also add some driftwood, if you don't mind the tannins they will lower the ph.

I have a double bright fixture but I'm using it on my salt tank. I don't think that it would be bright enough to support plant growth except in a very shallow tank, which wouldn't work for angels. My angel tank is 24" deep and I'm using a coralife no t5 and getting good growth out of swords with no algae. I think that deep blue makes a normal output t5, the coralife ones are being discontinued. With a high output you will need co2, I don't know if excel will be enough.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a bit of an update, I traded by Africans for some Saltwater equiptment I needed.
Emptied the tank today, as I wanted to change the substrate.

Figured it's easier to just restart... I bought some of the "Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate"
I'm going to give the tank a rub down tomorrow, and fill it back up.

I also bought 2 pretty big pieces of driftwood. On the lighting front, I'm thinking about just getting glass tops; and putting both the Double Brights and the stock hoods on the tank.
Maybe that'll help more with the plants. A guy at the LFS said that "Should work" :roll:

We'll see

1 - 11 of 11 Posts