Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I use the home made buffer to raise my water hardness and PH since my water is extremely soft. Has anybody had a case when their fish would not spawn with the homemade buffer alone? My caudopunks go over the spawning motions over and over again, but never any fry. The caudos were adults when I got them.

I have not seen any multi fry either and I have 14, which adds concern that my water could be a problem. I am still rushing it a little, the current setup is around two months old.

I may not know what I'm talking about, so excuse me if my question is absurd. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Breeding conditions for tangs, as in all living things, is contingent upon priority.

Lucky for most animals breeding is easy to prioritize. However it can be impeded by other priorities such as survival.

If we place our fish in an environment which is unstable and unhealthy for them to to perform basic functions of life, relatively stress-free, (i.e. Breathing, eating, movement and many other mental functions (less than "many" if you're a fish :lol: ) they will not likely breed.

I can't remember A time when I was overwhelmingly thirsty and thinking about sex at the same time for instance :D. Although I did once have a girlfriend in high school who worked at a lemonade stand so maybe that's not entirely true :lol: :lol:.

It is best, in this case to offer a check list of sorts to help you discern wether or why your fish are not breeding so...

Remember that Buffering your water is only necessary for breeding tangs if your water is excessively acidic from tap, like under 7.5, imo.

I am a confessed hypocrite here because my tap yields a ph of 7.5-7.7 and I buffer and lake salt (The seachem stuff) to a ph of 8.4 and a kh of 16-17 degrees. Not sure what my GH is but it's no doubt up there. You said you've got soft water so I'm assuming it's below 7.0?

Either way, "home made buffer" (Baking soda and Epsom salt right?) if properly dosed should get you to hold ph at 8.0-8.2. This, to answer your direct question directly, is just fine for breeding all the species you've mentioned

Next is nesting. It is unlikely that all 14 multis are the same sex. I think you may be, as you said rushing your multis. I assume they've got an adequate shell bed and that their immediate environment is predator free except for the Caudos who sound busy doing their own thing? I ask because if you had a trio of Altolamprologus Calvus in their, for instance you may have fry and never know it! They eat babies for a living :D !

I have never kept multis but I have kept their near clone, N. Similis and Similis breed almost as willingly as rabbits and multis but it did take a fewmonths for them to really get going in my recollection.

The Caudos may take a bit too, although they are many times, if paired, ready to breed right out of the bag. My first breeding pair of Caudos, I thought were just practicing breeding for six months. They had Buried a medium sized shell, purposed for them to breed in, dug their moat-like pit around the hole they formed to enter the shell (For the female to enter anyway), but I never saw any fry. Until I observed them defending their nest one day and so I got closer, then closer, then, with my face nearly pressed to the glass I could finally see the tinyest cichlid fry I have ever seen. They literally look like swimming sand. My point is that you may have Caudo fry and don't know it. They also incubate terribly fast. 3 days after laying eggs, they hatch and are exiting the shell. In certain setups, Not sure how Multis will treat 50 or so Caudo fry, you may have a window of only hours to remove your caudo fry.

I would keep the water clean, buffered exactly, if needed and feed a high quality food pellet (Flakes are just too messy imo, but I'm a neat freak.) and make sure you're giving the tank adequate dark time (It's hard to be smooth with the ladies if you haven't slept for days :lol: ).

Once all that basic conditioning is taken care of the best aphrodisiac is to leave them alone. You've got two of the most notoriously horny fish in the lake so I think you'll be fine. HTH and good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will continue to wait, just does not make since that epsom salt and baking soda can give the water everything it needs for the fish to spawn. I'm not worried about the fish not feeling comfortable, I was just curious if incorrect water parameters could make the eggs not hatch, not fertilize, ect.

My water is 6 PH, 3 KH and GH after 24 hours.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I do not know if it is true but the book The Cichlid Aquarium says there are a number of chemicals (salts and trace elements) in lake Tang water that are needed for these cichlids to succesfully breed generation on generation. I did once check up on this but found my tap water had them all. pH 8.6 KH 14 GH 20 and a list from my water company I compared against these "requirments". To be honest if they are in the food then I guess the fish get them anyway.

You can try the commertial Rift salts and trace elements but I sure do not know wheather they are really needed or help much in most cases.

Yep pH stable above 7.5 is I read from other sourses is as good as lake matched water. I have no real evidence this is true. My tap water being so similar to lake water. :oops:

I guess I should mention if I have shellys or Neolamps etc that are reluctant to breed I give them prawn/shrimp eggs. Not had any hatches fail I have noticed.

All the best James

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I seen multi fry today, I'm relieved. Now I know its just the caudopunks and not my water quality. Hopefully they will get it together soon, if not the tank is going to be over run with multis.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Give it time. Think of all the professional breeders and hobbyists alike that breed thsee just fine without worrying about trace elements, etc. You may buy a bottled product and just by chance your fish breed after that. Then they've got you where they want you, running back to the store for more time after time. :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad I seen multi fry, I have never had those guys long before they started breeding. That's where most of the concern that my water is lacking stemmed from.

On another note, one of the caudopunks dashed into the shellpile and grabbed (or missed) one of the multi fry. I'm glad that they will prey on the fry a little :thumb:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I think I buy the bottled stuff for me more than my fish :oops: :lol: . I doubt they need it, I just like gettin particular.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts