Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 125g just about where I want it, but there are still a few fish that I would like to add. The tank is an All-Glass reef-ready 125 gallon with two overflows. I am using an All-Glass 55 gallon as a DIY wet/dry and sump. One of the tank drains goes into a 100 micron filter sock that I change out as needed, and the other one goes to my 5 gallon wet/dry bucket filter that is filled with Bio-Bale. Water is returned to the tank via two Mag 12 return pumps. I am also running a Magnum 350 canister with a 36-watt turbo twist UV inline. I also installed a continuous automatic water change system (thanks FMueller for the inspiration!) that keeps my nitrates at or below 10 ppm at all times. The tank is an all-male mixed malawi. Here is my current stock list:

Copadichromis azureus
Copadichromis borleyi (Kadango)
Copadichromis trewavasae
Copadichromis verduyni (Narangu)
Lethrinops albus Kande Island
Nimbochromis venustus
Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe)
Protomelas spilonotus (Mara Rocks)
Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwan Reef)
Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Albino)
Protomelas taeniolatus (Red)
Sciaenochromis ahli or fryeri

Aulonocara (Rubescens)
Aulonocara baenschi
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka Albino"
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi (Undu Reef)
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Ngara)

Labidochromis caeruleus

2 - Brown Bristlenose
5 - Albino Bristlenose
3 - Synodontis Multipunctatus

Please let me know what you think as far as my current stock list and the possibility of adding some more. I am looking specifically at these two:

Placidochromis electra
Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania"

I am also going to be adding some more Synodontis Multipunctatus in the next few days. What is a good number to have in the tank? I was planning on adding at list 5-6 more, but I would like to know if more than 8 is possible in this tank with my current stock list. All of the cichlids are good size, but most all still have some growing to do.

Sorry for such a long post, but thanks for all your help and input.

Mike

Not a completely current pic, but close:

·
Registered
188 Posts
i bet half of those views are you checking to see if anyone commented. that always happens to me

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I would add in 6 of the Syno. multis, and the Placidochromis phenochilus. I would pass on the electra, as in most cases they won't colour up in your aquarium.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm a hap and peacock guy too. At the moment I have a smaller tank but I have a number of the fish you have listed there and a pheno. It's my favorite fish and quite unique so I highly recommend them. They take quite a while to fill up with spots. My 4" male only has a dozen or so spots and while my 6" male has a lot of spots he's a long way away from filling up with spots.

Now to answer your question. Obviously you realize in terms of water quality you could have so many fish that none of them could move if the filtration is good enough, so I imagine your question is whether the tank is too as far as movement is concerned.

We're only looking at your stock list (which I think is a great selection by the way). You can look at the tank itself and see if there's enough room for the fish to cruise back and forth. From the looks of the list I'd say you're pretty full but whether one or two fish will make the difference I don't know.

Regardless, I'd get the pheno tanz and if you find you're tank overstocked then lose the peacocks. Let the haps have the room they need and deserve to cruise. It looks a lot nicer that way too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input!

Fogelhund, as far as adding more synos, do you think a total of 10 is too many with my stocking list? I plan to add the pheno for sure, and I will keep your advice on the electra in mind. Thanks.

Cholile, that is my concern exactly. I think that I have enough room for the pheno. I think you are right - I'll give him a try and see how things work out. Thanks for the comments regarding my list - I am very pleased with it and everyone seems to be getting along very well so far. I agree with the advice about removing the peacocks. The haps are my favorites because of the cruising. Don't get me wrong, I love my peacocks too, but the way the haps cruise the tank is so darn entertaining!

Thanks again everyone!

Mike

P.S. - NYjets51, you can check the number of replies column, or the last post column to determine whether or not anyone has posted rather than having to go into the post. Figure you may know this, but just in case.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just my personal opinion:

You don't need the bristlenoses.

A group of 6-8 multipunctatus would be fabulous. I have four in my 60 gallon and I adore them.

As you know, the two keys to an all male tank is to be prepared to remove anyone who doesn't play by the rules and to avoid males that look similar. There are a few potential problems in your list, primarily in the peacocks. You have what looks like three different jacobfriebergi and that might be a problem. You may just have to wait and see, but if I were to advice a drop of something, it would be one of those.

Otherwise, Wow, how fun of a tank!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I agree with Holly about the BNs.

I figured you liked them and that's why you had 7 of them. 2 or 3 would be plenty to take care of the typical amounts of algae you'd expect to grow on a tank properly placed (e.g. not right next to a window where the sun beats down on the tank).

I have 6 syno lucipinnis (dwarf petricola) and think the more the merrier.

So if it were me I'd ad the pheno, add enough to have a total of 10-12 syno multis, and take out all but 2 or 3 BNS, and the peacocks (perhaps one or two would stay depending on temperament, colors etc.)

Great tank. Show some more pics!

Also, I notice the black background and the black sand. Did you ever try with white sand? Since I like the same basic group of fish I'm wondering if you have thoughts on which color sand that combination of fish looks best with.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like your mix. I would like a pheno for my tank aswell. A couple others you might like are Milomos and Blue dolphins

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do like the bristlenose, but I will consider removing some if I can get another tank setup (I am working the significant other on this one! :) ). I like all the other advice as well. I'll shoot for my number of 8-10 synos and the pheno, and if I am able to get that other tank (probably 55g, maybe bigger), I will consider moving some of the peacocks around.

As for the black sand and background, the reason I went with the black background is mainly because of the black overflows. The black sand was a decision that we both made. I like the way the colors contrast with the black, but cannot comment on the difference between that and light colored sand. I have heard lots of others say they like it better, but I am very happy with the black. I will try and post some more pics tonight.

I have thought about the Moori and VC-10 as well, but I am pretty sure I will go with the Pheno and see how things seem. Maybe if I pull some of the peacocks and make more room. Good thought.

Great advice everyone! Thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's only anecdotal because I'm sure other people have had different experiences, but with an all-male tank compatibility is a delicate thing hanging in the balance.

I have had few problems, but the one issue I have is that the moorii (blue dolphin) chases the pheno tanz often. Mind you it's a smaller tank, but I have an azerus and scy. fryeri of nearly the same size as the pheno tanz that the moorii never bothers. In addition, when I added a far smaller 4" pheno tanz the moorii chased him around too. This despite the fact that the pheno tanz was far smaller than 75% of the fish in the tank. I've heard other people having the same issue. So while it is only anecdotal, I do think there's some relationship between these two that leads to something similar to conspecific aggression.

Otherwise the moorii would be the other hap (aside from larger predatory haps) I'd recommend.

You mentioned your sump is homemade. Given the constant water changes and great filtration the water quality isn't an issue. Maybe, at least for the time being, just redesign, or increase the size of, your sump and set it up so that the peacocks and a few BNs can stay there. If you're creative enough you might even find that it can become a permanent place for them. And it will be easier for the SO to swallow. I'm sure with the right dimensions your sump/2nd tank could be at least 75 gallons.

As for the background I think black is the way to go with black overflows (or a DIY internal background of fake rock). Glad to hear you like the dark look with the sand. I finally got around to switching out the gravel for whitish sand. Very happy with it and haven't noticed any changes in the fishes' colors. But black sand still intrigues me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts