Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be setting up a 6ft tank on a metal stand so i can put a 30gallon and a 10 gallon tank underneat on the metal shelf... heres my problem... the gravel vac works because the water is going from a high point to a lower point... if the tank is almost on the ground wouldnt the syphon stop as soon as the water levels equalize? i guess id have to use a bigger area tub and dump it more than once if the water i took out got too high? suggestions?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have a python also and only use it for refilling.

For my 10g on the bottom I went and bought an oil drain pan which is real low and wide but still holds like 18qts or 4.5gallons. Gives me plenty of room for old water in that and has neat little caps to prevent splashing while carrying it to bathroom.

When i was doing my 20L i would siphon all the junk off the bottom then use an old power-head out the remaining volume (was a lot faster that way). HTH

·
Registered
213 Posts
I also use a python but you have to run the tap water to keep the flow going when the tank water level gets below the tap elevation. (Wastes water)So I have a small pump that fits the tubing on the python. I think the pump is a 5/8" wolfcraft pump(from Home Depot) and I power it with an ac electric drill. Need a decent variable speed drill(and I don't sugest you use a battery operated drill)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow... ok lol well using a python is kind of out of the question cuz theres only 2 water faucets in my apartment and the one in the kitchen i already have a quick connect channel locked on it for my roll over washing machine, it would be a huge pain to have to take them on and off all the time.. and the one in the bathroom isnt even able to screw anything onto... i had a python i got with a tank on craigslist and i ended up cutting it up to use it as a regular gravel vac at my friends house... i think benjamin has the closest idea to what ima do... i thought about it while i was in walmart today.. im going to first use my 18 gallon bucket.. cuz its only a 30 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank so i do 1/4 once a week in the 30 and around 1/2 once a week in the 10 gallon... so 1/4 or even 1/3 of 30 gallons at most is 10 gallons so i might have to fill up the bucket twice before the water levels equalize and it stops syphoning.. if so im going to buy their 30 gallon bucket and it will work in 1 shot.. i wouldnt want to use the python to refill cuz i am kinda anal about knowing exactly how much water im taking out and putting back in so i can put the correct amount of salt and buffer in... also it cuts down on frivolously using the prime and stress coat... wow a drill operated pump huh that seems a lil overkill i suppose on a big tank that would be ok.. but its only 2 small tanks that will be on the bottom.. thanx for the input ill let you guys know how it turns out :)

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work and fussing. Fussing usually winds up spilling and cussing!
Any chance there is a window nearby where you could place a hose to go down outside where it would not be a problem? Just so the far end is lower than the tank. I'm thinking like a hose left out the window, then a disconnect that would match up with a hose from the tank so you could siphon out the window. Leave the hose in place outside and close the window but open and connect to it when needed? Any room for that to work? All you need is a way to get the far end lower than the water level. For starting the siphon, a squeeze bulb makes it simple.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Before the question comes up, yes, the siphon will work to go up to the window and out even though it is higher than the water level. One has to have more water in the hose outside to balance the water inside. Gravity makes it work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol i doubt the maintenance guys in my apartment complex would appreciate me leaving a hose hanging outside my window lol.. im on the ground floor... and i would NEVER jus leave a window open allowing burglars to ransack my house at will... i do live in jersey you know lol.. im too paranoid to do that i lock even my bedroom and walkin closet... i jus suck on the hose for 1 second to start the syphon or *** perfected a technique where u fill up the gravel vac with water hold up with the open part facing up as soon as it starts goin down the tube out the tank u plunge it back in the tank and it continues to syphone then turn gravel vac upside down and clean...i think that ill be good with a container as its a few inches lower than the tank and im only takin out 6 or 7 gallons per water change out the 30 gal

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Okay, no problem with the question on the maintenance! I didn't mean to leave the window open but to have a connection at that piont so the hose from the outside could be disconnected and laid in the area between the screen and the window when not in use. Just a thought. Good luck, seems you have it worked out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i gotcha and thats probly what ill do if my way doesnt work... jus get a longer hose for the gravel vac and put it out the window if i have problems...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts