Cichlid Fish Forum banner

How do you guys handle the weight of a full Eheim 2260

798 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  smitty 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a used Eheim 2260 from my LFS. It came with the double taps but without the hoses. I’m planning this to be the only filter for a 100 gallon wide aquarium I’m setting up. I have the smaller 2250 running and moving it from its cabinet to clean is quite a back braking task. I wonder with the bigger canister (50% larger), how to manage the weight. Even if I drain the water out, the weight of the filter media is quite high.
Itzik

#3 ·
I prefer to drain the majority of the water from the filter using the drain tap. I then tip the canister to allow me to remove it from under the stand. I bought a small platform cart with wheels to transport the canister to the laundry room for cleaning.

As we get older, some of us need these little helpers to do large canister filter moving.

#4 ·
zimmy said:
You could fill it the way fmueller fills his 2260 (with quilt batting). I'm sure that would make it lighter.
I see my fame proceeds me :D

Once the water is out, a 2260 filled with quilt batting weighs next to nothing. 20 years ago I would have lifted a filled 2260 and thought nothing of it. But I have come to an age where I have to watch my back. So lifting a 2260 before draining it is out of the question for me now.

Using quilt batting as the only filter material is not just a weight saving issue though. It's perfect for both mechanical and biological filtration, plus it's cheap :thumb:

#5 ·
First use only the Eheim media. But once you empty it they are fairly light. However I never put mine under the tank stand, I sat it beside the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.