Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to finish stocking my 75 gallon standard tank - dual Rena XP3 filters Lots of rock cover along the back wall of the tank and ends, open water in the middle, and eco-complete cichlid sand bottom.

3 White Calvus (already have, juvies 1"-1.5")
3 C. Brichardi (already have 1.5")
2 Syn. Petricola (already have 2"-2.5")
2 P. Nigripinnis
15 Cyp. Leptosoma

I would also like someone else in the sand with the catfish, maybe Callochromis pleurospilus. How bad is their conspecific aggression?

How are these numbers overall? What changes would you make? Other species to recommend?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Looks pretty good- although I recommend getting another 6 paracyps. They do best in small schools and I think having just two will stress them too much. It's also a good idea to start with a few more of the rock dwellers ( a total of 5-6) so that you have a better chance of growing out compatible fish. With only three, it's not unlikely that you would end up with only one adult. With six, you can pull the extras as breeding groups form.

So-

15 Cyps
8 Paracyps
6 calvus (remove extras when mature)
6 Chalinos (remove extras when mature)
Synos

·
Registered
363 Posts
That would be a pretty full tank, especially after the brichardi pair off and take over half of it. No room for the Callochromis long term.

I believe general wisdom is to keep at least 6-8 Paracyps.

That list is very close to my 75... Lots of Cyps, Paracyps and gold head comps. It works well and is a fun tank to watch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i'll axe the callochromis idea.

I read 4 inches for the nigripinnis, do they really get that large?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I just need to find the budget for 15 cyps and 6 paracyps :eek:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Check local clubs good deals there just picked up ten cyps for cheap and always nice to meet fellow fish enthusiasts :thumb:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did find the local groups website. Unfortunately they only have annual auctions. I will still probably join though. Im sure its a wealth of information.

·
Registered
482 Posts
well i havnt actually been to an auction yet just swap meets. but local club has a trading post so can post what you want and never know whos breeding what and chances are some one is or some one might know someone who does. in my case found a guy who has every tang i've looked at wanting to own but a few haha

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
mokujin22 said:
That would be a pretty full tank, especially after the brichardi pair off and take over half of it. ..
Note that we're talking about Chalinochromis brichardi, not the neolamps. My chalinos were less feisty than the average julie...

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
mokujin22 said:
That would be a pretty full tank, especially after the brichardi pair off and take over half of it. No room for the Callochromis long term.

I believe general wisdom is to keep at least 6-8 Paracyps.

That list is very close to my 75... Lots of Cyps, Paracyps and gold head comps. It works well and is a fun tank to watch.
Yes, I was going to point out these are Chalinochromis brichardi, not Neolamprologus as well. Still a robust fish, but not as aggressive as Neolamp. brichardi.

I agree with those who suggest increasing the number of Paracyps.

I would also drop the Syno's completely in this tank. With two, they'll just hide anyway, but they'll sit in the cichlids caves trying to eat the fry and eggs... usually making the cichlids less then happy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot for the input. I am learning a lot here, and hopefully the beautiful tanganyikan tank in my dining room will reflect that in a few months and for years to come.

·
Registered
363 Posts
triscuit said:
Note that we're talking about Chalinochromis brichardi, not the neolamps. My chalinos were less feisty than the average julie...
Fogelhund said:
Yes, I was going to point out these are Chalinochromis brichardi, not Neolamprologus as well. Still a robust fish, but not as aggressive as Neolamp. brichardi.
Oops. My bad. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

Only tangs in the tank now!

3 white calvus juveniles
3 c. brichardi juveniles
2 synodontis petricola that I cannot catch

I plan to order the cyps next week.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got my Cyps and Paracyps in from Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish.

Not much to look at right now unless you are into grey minnows! I guess I have to be patient with them. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.