Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined up today I am very new to raising cichlids (less then a month) on my previous post it was suggested that I get a water test kit. I did and here are my results and what I have gathered from them please correct me if I am wrong I have a lot to learn.

Nitrate = 10 (Good)
Ammonia = 0 (Good)
PH = 7.5 (Good but a little high)
Nitrite = 0.1 (Okay but still high) = Water Change

By the way this is so fun! I though just keeping fish was fun in itself, but now I get to be a chemist too.[/u]

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Lepidopterous,

Welcome. You are right on with your analysis of your water chemistry. Ammonia and Nitrite should always be 0. As for nitrates many suggest they should always be less than 40ppm with 20ppm and under being ideal. If your nitrates climb up towards 40pmm it is time for a water change. PH is not a huge concern as long as it stays stable; 7.5 sounds good to me. What type of fish are you keeping?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Any nitrite or ammonia means your tank is still cycling. Keep those numbers low (below .25) with water changes until they both reach zero. Then, yes, try to keep your nitrate below 40. Up to 80 is acceptable (though not desired) for most cichlids...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I believe Lepidopterous has rainbows that have layed eggs. The post is in the Ca section. Good job on the test kit. Sounds like your tank is almost cycled. Remember to do your 50% wc daily if you still have toxins in there. Once you have reached 0 across the ammonia and nitrites you can back to weekly 30-50% wc. Good luck and hope to see those fry pics soon. :fish:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Oh and once you are comfortable enough that your tank is stable frequent wc can take place of frequent water test. Those kits are not cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.