Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used tank and it has some white **** on the inside of it around the top half. I know houssehold chemicals would probably be a bad idea...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Vinegar works well. Also razor blades work well. Fill it up first to see if you can even see it once it's full, so hard water stains are invisible or hardly noticeable with water in the tank.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have just used white. What you do is lay it on its side and soak a rag in it and lay it on the stain. Hopefully it comes off after a few hours or overnight. Then you can scrape it with a razor blade.

·
Registered
625 Posts
As long as you're conscious about what you put in and the amount of rinsing needed you can use pretty much anything.

I used to work at a BioChem lab and to clean glass that we used to keep fish or used for biological oxygen demand tests, we first used a really intense soap then a 50/50 mix of HCl. There was 3 rinses between each step and a ph check at the end.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If you do use a stronger solvent, be careful of getting it on the silicone, it could potentially spell disaster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts