Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a tank that was previously marine with an overflow. I removed it but there are two long bars from bottom of tank to top of overflow on the inside glass, where the overflow/silicone were. The glass is "dry" there (compared to the shine of the glass around it) and won't come off with razor or ammonia.

I'm worried these are permanent, as if the "shine" or luster of the glass is now dull. Anyone have an idea?

Attachments

·
2,088 Posts
Looks like silicone residue. Did you try Vinegar?

·
Registered
126 Posts
880;

Not much touches glass, and those things that do (like hydroflouric acid etching or grit blasting) would likely not be used on an aquarium...so that leaves something still being on the surface which needs to be removed (without scratching!)...I'd attack that area some more with a razor blade, Scotchbrite or even a non-scratching scouring grit like Bon-Ami...let us know how you make out!

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
you could also try acetone - I've used it before to attack silicone (if it is silicone). The glass could possibly be etched - I work with a fair share of residential water treatment systems - whole house UV sterilizers have a quartz tube that surrounds the UV Bulb, occasionally we will come across one that is completely clouded up from being etched by minerals, etc in the water that passes by it when water runs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just following up- I tried a razor, ammonia, even a dremel with felt pad and polish. Nothing worked to take it off. I could. I couldn't figure it out so I have my heater covering it :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eljajkeo22 said:
you could also try acetone - I've used it before to attack silicone (if it is silicone). The glass could possibly be etched - I work with a fair share of residential water treatment systems - whole house UV sterilizers have a quartz tube that surrounds the UV Bulb, occasionally we will come across one that is completely clouded up from being etched by minerals, etc in the water that passes by it when water runs.
I think you're right that it is etched in millions of little scratches. I looked for cerium oxide but didn't want the hassle of using a drill to likely cause distortion so I just covered it up unfortunately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts