Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 75 gallon tank with 8 male mbunas. the problem is that an ugly dark green algae tries to coat every surface in my aquarium. I'm able to clean off the glass with a sponge, but the gravel and rocks are impossible to clean without actually taking them out, which I don't want to do because it makes my fish turn pale and hide in the corner. Are there any algae eaters (preferably some kind of snail,because they multiply so quickly) which can live in an mbuna tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Algae is good in a mbuna tank. It is their natural behaviour to graze on it. If you are getting out of control algae it may be worth checking the tank waters nitrate levels to make sure they are not too high.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Is the algae glue-green and slimy? Other types of algae usually do not grow on gravel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's sort of slimy. I know they eat algae but this stuff grows insanely fast and gets out of control quickly. I used to have a BN pleco but they kept nipping at it and when there was ick in my tank last year it died. I also don't know if the cichlids even eat this kind of algae, because I never see them. I've also tried introducing pond snails from another tank, but they get eaten instantly. I still wish there was some kind of snail I could get.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Sounds like cyanobacteria. You can clear it up with erythromycin, but you have to figure out how you got it because it will keep coming back.

Any plants in the tank, especially ones that are not doing so well?

What is the actual nitrate reading? For me I got cyanobacteria when nitrate was too low.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nitrates too low? :-? This is a new concept to me. I always thought you want them as low as possible unless you have live plants. DJ, can you explain briefly, or point me to an article?

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
No article. For me the plants ate up all the nitrate and then started to languish. They leaked plant fluid which created the perfect environment for cyanobacteria.

By adding nitrate the plants can recover and starve out the cyanobacteria.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts