Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new 50g tank. I already have several mbuna in a 29g, too many in fact, I'll be transferring over some of them and returning the rest.
In the 29 I have 2 yellow labs that I'll be keeping. They're almost 4inches long. So one of my questions is If I go with Demasoni, how big do I need to get so the labs won't kill them. One of the labs is the dominant one of all the fish in the 29g, the list includes 2 red zebras, 2 albino red-topped zebras, and 2 johanii males. (i know, i know, in a 29g? thats why I'm upgrading and most of them are going back.). Demasoni are rather expensive and don't want to spend that much on some chew toys for the labs. :lol: . The cheapest I've seen in my area (San Diego) for Demasoni was $9.99 and they were about an inch at best. Thats a lot of money if I have to get at least 10 of them. While I'm asking, is there a fish that i can get in lieu of the Demasoni? something cheaper but just as blue? I really like my dominant of the two johannii but the females are a different color and I can only have one male right? the other male is really pale in comparison. Oh yeah, i want to add more labs, whats the minimum size i can get them? again, asking to minimize aggression from the older labs. Do I need to get all of the fish at once??? If i can't get them at once, whats the best way to add more fish and have them survive?
I know I have a lot of questions, thank you for indulging a noob.

Khris

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (maingano) like the fish in my avitar is a pretty blue fish that only gets about 4" long and is a good replacement for demasoni. I think it's recommended to get 12-15 demasoni. You wouldn't need that many maingano. I'd add the new labs first then get the other new fish a little later. Rearrange the stuff in the tank right before you add new fish and feed them as soon as you add the new ones so they are busy eating and won't notice the new fish coming in as much. It's also best to add at least 3 fish at a time. More is even better. As long as the new fish are to big to fit in your old fish's mouth, it should be ok. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am firmly in Dewdrop's camp in recommending the Maingano as a "replacement Demasoni" - that is, if you want a characterful and not too big cichlid, with vivid blue and black colours to offset your Yellow Labs.

I currently have 6 (2M 4F) of which 5 look very much like Dewdrop's avatar. The 6th, the dominant male, has much darker colours and is also the tank boss (though I should say to just the right amount - he imposes order but has never done any major damage to another fish).

Anyway if you like Johannii you will REALLY like these guys.

PS: for reference my total stock mix is 6 Maingano (2M 4F), 6 Yellow Labs (2M 4F), and 4 Ps. Acei (2M 2F)

·
Super Moderator
40,527 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 50G?

$9.99 is a good price for Demasoni...what is the price of other mbuna? I, of course, would go with the Dems. I like the vertical bars better than the horizontal stripes for some reason.

At one inch you can definitely get them in groups...say half now and half in two weeks. The real aggression won't start until they are 1.5 to 3 inches.

I'd keep the two large labs in the 29G and stock the 50G with your Demasoni (at least 12, not 10) and small labs. Grow the small fish out to 1.5" or so and then add back the two large labs.

This is all assuming the 50G is at least 48" long.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Kim

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually already have a cyno afra in my 29g and really like it. I rarely see them in any of my LFS though. Its a 50g show so same foot print as a 55g (48X12) just a couple inches shorter. $9.99 is The pretty standard price for the fish I have but they were buy 2 get one free so that comes out to $6.66 each, whoa, not a good sign :D . At that price they are much larger. I realize that Demasoni are dwarf cichlids but I thought 1 inch was still rather small. Is that pretty standard for their selling size? $9.99 is the cheapest I've seen them for but thats quite a bit when I have to buy 12 of them. Maybe, they'll give me a bulk discount.
Back to the cyno's, I really like them but don't really now much about them. I'll have to read about them. Just to get me started, what would be the stocking requirments if I wanted cyno afras with yellow labs and Acei???
Anyone agree with DJRansome about having to leave the larger Yellow labs in the 29g? I really don't want to do that, but I don't want the newer fish killed either. I don't think they would mess with the Demasoni, they don't mess with my Johannii at all. As for the new yellow labs, I'll be getting them at about 2 1/2 inches, is that to small to co-exist?

Thanks again for playing twenty questions. :lol:

Khris

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have a baby acei that survived being eaten for a couple months and it's no more than 1/2" long, just starting to show it's colors. My 4.5" crabro male ignores it, and I added 5 of 1-1.5" Melanochromis Cyanorhabdos(one is in my av) without any problems.

·
Super Moderator
40,527 Posts
Oh, I might put them all together as well, chances are they will be fine. But you expressed a desire not to risk the smaller fish, and it's the only way I could think of to guarantee.

Cyno Afra have nice males but drab females. Depending on the species, I've also heard the male has trouble coloring up unless he is the tank boss, which would probably not be the case in a Demasoni tank.

Now Cynotilapia sp. hara Gallireya Reef is a different story (blue females, males color up) but they are not afra.

·
Registered
495 Posts
depending on the cyno variant you can get, some have nice females.. i have WC cyno afra (mbenji islands) the females can be quite stunning, purple to blue with bars that come and go like males. and the males in full dress are very bright with dark black bars. sub males will change colours in seconds making them extra interesting.

·
Registered
495 Posts
BANANAHANDS said:
Back to the cyno's, I really like them but don't really now much about them. I'll have to read about them. Just to get me started, what would be the stocking requirments if I wanted cyno afras with yellow labs and Acei???
id go with around 8 or more of each type. Keeping in mind that males will need to thinned out over time.
BANANAHANDS said:
Anyone agree with DJRansome about having to leave the larger Yellow labs in the 29g? I really don't want to do that, but I don't want the newer fish killed either. I don't think they would mess with the Demasoni, they don't mess with my Johannii at all. As for the new yellow labs, I'll be getting them at about 2 1/2 inches, is that to small to co-exist?
i think you can ad your 4" yellows to your new set up with new fish as long as there is plenty of rock work for hiding spots.. id purposely make 2 large caves at the front for each yellow to claim. with the stock list of acie, yellow labs, and cyno afra the tank should be very active and not aggressive for anything aggression problems to start and have the 4" guys attack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great avatar Laurel! My male mainganos look just like your little pic. Funniest thing is when they are hiding in the dark rocks as all you can see are their eyes and that little 'satchmo' mouth of theirs!

Love those fish...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.