Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in chocolate cichlids for years; now I've got an empty 50g tank (36x18x18) all set up and ready to go. Been thinking about getting one of the juvenile chocs at the LFS but have hesitated because of conflicting maximum size and tank requirement info. How big do these guys really get and would those of you keeping them recommend a 50g tank for a single chocolate?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've never kept them myself, given a 50g breeder (36x18x18) is the largest tank I have. However, at the LFS I worked, have seen them personally up to 9 inches though they are said to get bigger, that is the largest I have personally seen.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
We have a single chocolate that we rescued and nursed back to health. Great fish for sure. Ours probably has grown from a little over an inch at the end of May to about 2.5-3" now, so they can grow fairly quickly.

I think a chocolate would need at least a four foot tank to be happy. Ours has a really upwards pointed attitude, with his.her eyes glued to the surface, so a little depth to the water would also be appreciated.

They seem to be rare enough that it may be worth getting one while you can, and see where it goes from there.

-Ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.