Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Gently rinse media in tank water during weekly water changes. That's a generalization, but usually works well for most tanks. You can also rinse out the chamber if it needs it. Don't get too aggressive with the cleaning, as I'm assuming this is your only filter. I'm also assuming the tank has been set up for a while and is well established. If the tank is fairly new, wait a while before cleaning at all, like 45-60 days after cycle is complete. Then go real easy and test water 12-24 hours later.

HTH

·
Registered
84 Posts
Remember you don't need to shut this filter down in order to clean it, just pull out the media tray and follow the previous instructions !

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
To rinse it out, you need to shut it down. I don't see any need or advantage to keeping it running while cleaning. And dctually, if you keep it running and remove the media, it can kick all sorts of organic solids into the tank. I think it best to shut it down myself. At least that's been my experience.

·
2,088 Posts
prov356 said:
Gently rinse media in tank water during weekly water changes. That's a generalization, but usually works well for most tanks.

HTH
To clarify - he means tank water that is now in a bucket or otherwise out of the tank. :thumb:

It would not do much good to rinse media inside the tank. :D Minor detail, but one a new fishkeeper might read incorrectly

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
To clarify - he means tank water that is now in a bucket or otherwise out of the tank.

It would not do much good to rinse media inside the tank. Minor detail, but one a new fishkeeper might read incorrectly
You're right, good catch. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
One detail not mentioned yet is what to do with the bucket at cleaning time. It doesn't need to be every time for sure but at some point, the well in the filter container that the impeller sets into , will become clogged with algae. On many filters this will mean that it needs to come off the tank and be really flushed out at a sink. After cleaning, I often have trouble getting down into this little 1/4" type hole so I use a Q-tip. Cleaning this hole really well will put off those times when you come home and find the filter not running. If you have snails, I find the little buggers like to get down in this little spot and gum up the works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.