Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've gone through the library here and have read the articles regarding ich. I've spent a couple of hours researching elsewhere on the web, but I was hoping to get some opinions from some of the experts here.

I made the stupid mistake of not quarantining new fish before putting them one of my 55 gallon tanks. The tank has been up and running for about 9 months now, all fish healthy and happy up to that point.

This was my first dealing with ich, and by the time I realized the tank was infested, it was too late for a lot of fish. For some reason it's been really hard on the acei and has killed 4/5 of them. The peacocks and labidochromis have faired pretty well...

I decided to go the malachite green approach, so I got some last night and dosed the tank according to the directions. I've also raised the temperature to 80 degrees F. I added a little extra aquarium salt as well.

My main question is how often should I continue dosing? Knowing that the ich is only vulnerable to meds at a certain point in its lifecycle, and not knowing how long the malachite green remains potent. I know I need to make sure there's a good dosing of the medication in the tank when the ich is at the point in its lifecycle where it can be killed, and I don't want to miss that.

Also, should I consider adding salt at this point? I always add 1 tablespoon/5 gallons for good measure. From what I've read you can increase salinity considerably. I don't know if this is something I should do in addition to the malachite green... it might stress the fish more.

Anyhow, any advice would be appreciated... even if you could point me to some articles/dicussions that might help.

I'm really kicking myself for this one. This is a very sad day in what's been a very happy fishkeeping experience. But I guess that's how you learn...

Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would bump the temp even more and not use anymore meds they are not needed, go to around 84 degrees, the warmer the water the faster the ich parasite life cycle and they it cannot live in water at all in the mid 80s, you need to maintain this temp for two weeks because the white bumps you see will fall off and then spawn new little ich parasites and the high temp will kill them off before they can attach to your remianing fish. I would stick with the current amount of salt you are using.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bpman25 said:
I would bump the temp even more and not use anymore meds they are not needed, go to around 84 degrees, the warmer the water the faster the ich parasite life cycle and they it cannot live in water at all in the mid 80s, you need to maintain this temp for two weeks because the white bumps you see will fall off and then spawn new little ich parasites and the high temp will kill them off before they can attach to your remianing fish. I would stick with the current amount of salt you are using.
So you're saying the temperature alone will kill them? The only thing information I came across agreeing with that stated that they can't reproduce in water above 85 degrees.

I'm hoping someone else can confirm/deny.

Thanks again though!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, the temp will kill all new ich and will speed up the life cycle of any existing parasites attached to your fish.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yup... increase the temp to 30-31 deg C(86-87deg F). dont have to worry about it because the fish can handle it.

just make sure you gradually increase the temp say 1 deg every 2 hrs.

ick usually cant reproduce around 28deg C. so by increasing the temp alone you can stop the cycle. usually it will take at least 1 week to eradicate ick completely.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies! It sounds like it's pretty much unanimous. I wish I would have known that before I put the malachite green in the tank. It's nasty stuff.

Thanks again,
Gregg

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think alot of people get sold on ich medications by pet stores looking to make a quick buck, they are profiting on our desire to keep our fish as healthy as possible, that is why I am glad we have this site to share our experiences with each other.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've combated ich with Kordon Rid Ich+ with much success. Here are some pointers that help a lot:

1. Large water changes (50-75%) to get rid of as many tomont/thermonts as possible for Day 1 treatment
2. Moderate water change (30-50%) for Day 2 treatment
3. 25% WC for Day 3 on
4. Extra sea salt does help.

The ich is usually gone by day 3. You may want to continue until you feel you're in the safezone.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
it is still safe to make the treatment for atleast 5 days, even if on the 3rd day your fish looks very healthy already.

problem with ick is that you only see the white spots on their body which is if i remeber it correctly is only the 2nd stage. the 1st and 3rd stage is not visible to us. it can be free swimming in your tank or at your bottom tank.

so best to treat the whole tank for 5 days so that we can make sure we eradicate them completely.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the replies. I ended up losing a peacock but now all the fish in the tank are active and eating, showing no signs. I have the temperature at 86 degrees... it's kind of odd that with a total of 3 heaters, one set to 88, I can't get any higher. I must have 500 watts of heaters in a 55 gallon tank.

I'm going to keep the temperature up for another 5 days or so. So, I have the initial treatment of malachite green and about 7 days of 86 degree water. This should do the job, shouldn't it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
In over thirty years I have used nothing but temperature to combat what very few cases of ich I have had. It never has failed me.

G

·
yea when i had it i used the drops and temperature.. took around 5 days... 85-86 is good.. dont wanna go too much higher.. very little oxygen in the water at higher temps... suffocate your fish.. keep a close eye on the temp...

·
Registered
161 Posts
with High temps like that make sure you have lots of aeration turn up that bubble machine/wall full blast

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I have a bubble stone and have the 75 gallon canister filter (in my 55 gallon tank) going full speed... there's a lot of surface agitation. I haven't seen anything indicating the fish are running low on oxygen.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
161 Posts
sweet...the higher the water temp the less oxygen, Fact!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts