Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HRPs have gotten big enough now to sex and I'm fairly certain I have 2 males and a female. The non dominant male has finally started nipping back at the dominant one and I saw them lip locking the other day. Is it ok to keep them like this or should I remove the female to reduce aggression. I currently have a Firemouth and Flier Cichlid in with them too but I don't know their sexes, but the HRPs pretty much leave them along and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
If you want to reduce the overall aggression in the tank, while maintaining the maximum amount of cichlids/species in it? Then yes, you should pull the female HRP out. In your 90 gallon aquarium, it's possible that once a pair bond is formed between the male and female HRP and spawning begins - the unpaired, 'loser' HRP male will be killed. :(
-
Plus a pair of HRPs will bring down some definite pain on the other residents of your tank in fry-protective aggression. (Not psycho-killer levels like a spawning pair of Neets would, but enough to beat up the other residents pretty badly....).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts