Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't happy with vacuum performance. Tried a few from the LPS. Not enough suction, to short, to big, and waste would get suspended in the middle and not go down the drain. Most of the time I would empty more than half the tank before I was done. Here's my fix:

First got a 1 inch tube for a undergravel filter from LPS

Cut it about 4 inches above water line. Silconed a pvc female / gardenhose adapter on the end of it.

Finished!

[/img]

This thing is powerful. I can spot clean daily in about 5 mins. It will suckup the sand so I have to be careful. But it cleans in spots I couldn't clean before. Powerheads keep the sand looking great but are there are some waste collection spots and this was my fix. My next idea is to tie a media bag on the end of the hose to filter the water so I can pure it right back in the tank. Love to here your input.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Right on kajunfish :thumb: !

I did exactly the same thing for the same reason a couple of years ago and it sucks water out like nobody's business! I tried a size in between and it's just not enough. There definately is a certain knack to using it over sand without sucking too much out.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Nice, I did something similar. Changed the hose on my python to a larger diameter, much stronger suction, only drawback, gotta move quick before the tank is empty. :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow... great minds DO think alike. I did this same thing about 2 weeks ago. My tank never looked better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The media bag idea was for a quick 5-10 minute cleaning. Not for weekly water changes. We have friends over on the weekends and they love looking at my fish. I do a quick clean before anyone gets here, just to make it look good and tidy. My daughter calls it making the tank poopless. She's 12 and already planning her 100g afican tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts