Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will probably be heading to home depot for sand in the next couple of days. I was wondering what people thought was the best sand to buy? I would like some as light as possible. Last time i baught the Montery Beach sand. It was nice but i was not too crazy about the colour. And it looked kinda dirty. It was a little to dark. If anyone can reccomend a type and brand name that would be great. I asked for Silica Sand or Blasting sand there before and the guy had no idea what i was talking about. So a specific name brand and type would be helpful. Thanks :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Go to your local pool supply retailer and pick up some pool filter sand. $8-10 bucks for a 50lb. bag. It's a silica sand and typically lighter in color. I've combined 3 bags to 1 bag of Eco-complete cichlid gravel and it's a great look IMO.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
TailorO said:
I asked for Silica Sand or Blasting sand there before and the guy had no idea what i was talking about.
...and find a different clerk next time at Home Depot

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh i tried. The funny thing is....i worked there!! Building materials was not my department but i know how under staffed and undertrained they are

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey,

Mavericks did you put gravel with your pool filter sand for a particular reaosn, just curious as im about to set up my new tank and will prob use pool filter sand.

Also how fine is pool filter sand... to fine that heaps can be lost when cleaning ur tank with a vaccum etc?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I purchased several bags of white-sicilia sand from Menard's. I paid appx. 4.25 for a 50 pound bag. I like it and safe for my fish. 8)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I went down to home depot and didn't like any of the sand they had so i ended just buying white argonite from petsmart. i like it a lot and it just happened to be on sale!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts