Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was wondering if anyone knows how i can plug holes in my tank. there is 4 holes,2 on each side about a 1inch and a half and there right at the top too. thanx

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is it a glass or acrilic? If its glass you can cut a patch and silicon it over the hole. If your not sure about your seal job you can put a patch on both side. If its acrilic you can do the same thing but silicon does not stick to well to acrilic. There is a product called Lexen its like silicon that you can find at Aco hardware that works great with acrilic.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
:thumb:

I have about 4 tanks that were drilled... but I did not want them drilled...

All of mine are glass... like 12Pointer said, silicone does not still well to acrylic so if you have acrylic do everything the same but use acrylic glue (I can't advise on which one though).

I had one tank with a 1" & a 2" hole in the same corner... I cut a square piece of 1/4" thick Plexiglas that covered both holes and had at least an inch of overlap on all sides...

I cleaned the glass... I cleaned the Plexiglas... I made a circle of silicone just outside the cut holes... then made a circle of silicone around my circle of silicone... I continued to do this until there were circles inside of circles as big as my piece of Plexiglas...

I then stuck the Plexiglas in place... I then set a scotch glass on the Plexi upside down (this is simply a riser)... then I set a 1 gallon pitcher or water on the Plexi to weigh it down...

Like I said, I've done this same process about 4 times... I actually have a drilled 30 gal I patched this afternoon...

·
Registered
211 Posts
You could put bulkheads in them and put a pvc plug inside with a ball valve on the outside. Then, if you ever decided to use the hole, it would be easily accessible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts