Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed one of my haps has hole in the head. This juvie is in a grow out tank with about ten brothers or sisters. Is this disease communicable? Should I remove this fish so the other juvies won't get infected?

Here's a pic-

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
You're certain that it's HITH?

How long has he had it? Have you just noticed a hole or are there other symptoms?

Please post back with additional information

Robin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was gone for the weekend and when I got back I noticed that he looked a little beat up. But when I looked closer I saw what looks like little holes all over his face. This is the first time any of my fish have looked like this so I just assumed it was hole in the head. I have seen this before on a friend of mines fish and that is what he called it. The juvies are about 9 months old and this is the only one that has those "holes" on its face. I guess I am not 100% certain it is HITH but that would be my thought. I have kept cichlids for over 5 years now and this is my first experience with this symptom. Other symptoms include a tendency to stay in corners, or to remain in isolation from other fish, even at feeding, and not wanting to eat or not as energetic at feeding times as his brothers and sisters.

This might help - I messed with colors a bit

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Yes that's much better.

The pits do look like HITH but from your description it also sounds like this fish is being harrassed. Do you have any idea how long the pits have been there? Any other fish have them? How long has this fish been showing the other symptoms?

Can you remove him? If he perks up in isolation then it will tell you that his symptoms are at least in part, aggression related.
What are the water parameters on the main tank? How often do you do partial water changes? How big is the tank and how many fish?

Robin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts