Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have had ongoing problems with my 29 gallon community tank. I have absolutely no problems with my 55 gallon African Mbuna tank, so I'm not sure why I have encountered so many problems here...
Long story short- my three balloon rams have become ill, one at a time and two out of three died. The last one is now ill, showing the same signs. They each started with getting a cloudy eye, then progressed to white sores of some sort around their head. Could it be hole in the head? I've tried to treat the other two unsuccessfully with Maracyn II, Melafix and salt. Now I have no more medication, and the third fish is steadily worsening. The rest of the tetras are fine, no signs of illness. I have noticed the onset of symptoms with each fish a day or so after water changes (which I do 30-40% change weekly). Water quality tested fine, although today, I noticed Nitrates were close to 40- which I know is high. I know balloon rams are especially sensitive to water quality. Any ideas on what to do? My QY tank is being used to house a fish, and the only other tank has fry in it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Are these white areas fluffy or cottony in appearance?

Are you using a good dechlorinator with your water changes?

How long since your last water change?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my last water change was just two days ago. The eye looks like a cloudy bubble over it, and the spots on his head almost look like milky blisters. It's hard to describe, but they are all concentrated around the head. I tried but couldn't get a clear picture. I'm not hopeful I can save this fish as it's been several days now since I noticed the symptoms. I tried to treat, but ran out of medication and the meds I had were not successful in treating the past two fish.

The only dechlorinator I use is Declor. Could this be a cause? I have noticed that each fish has fallen ill after a water change. I wonder if it's because the fish are so sensitive to water quality, but it's hard to believe the water would get that dirty when I do weekly water changes. The longest the tank has gone without a water change is two weeks, and that happened only once. So far, Maracyn II, Melafix and salt have not worked. I think he might be too far gone to help, and I can't isolate him right now. I feel horrible.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi,

don't know about the brand of declorinator you're using but it's possible that there's a connection. If your tap water has chloramines then you need to use a declorinator that properly deals with chloramines. Otherwise water changes will seriously stress your fish and the larger the water change the worse it will be. And like you said, Rams are more sensitive to water conditions.

So, don't know that it's the declorinator but its worth looking into. Check out the declorinator article linked below to see if you can determine anything about your declorinator.

As far as what to do for this remaining fish, not sure. You went in the right direction with the Maracyn-two but it may be that you needed to treat with both Maracyn AND Maracyn-two. It may still be worth a try. In addition to treatment adding salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per five gallons and also improving water movement will aide in preventing the spread of the bacteria.
Frequent, daily water changes will also help but you need to be absolutely sure that your declorinator is working. You might want to just switch to either Prime or Amquel Plus and then you can be sure you're using the best.

Robin

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Robin. I couldn't save the fish, but I am switching to Prime. Maybe I just need to stick with Mbuna. I've always had good luck with them. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts