Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yellow lab that was holding for about three weeks. Toward the end, I tried to catch her to isolate or strip the fry, but I couldn't. Then, the next day I noticed she was eating. Thought the stress may have made her release the fry or something. But, I haven't seen any babies, so perhaps they were eaten.Then, only a couple days later, I again noticed it looked like she was holding.... It's been over two weeks again. Her belly is quite sunken in, very noticeable. I'm wondering what I should do with her? Will she naturally release the fry and eat, or can she starve herself from this??

·
Registered
36 Posts
she might have had them for lunch, my yellow lab just let go of her fry today and the first thing i did was put flake in the tank so she did not eat them. when you think she is going to release them watch her. i would remove her after she spits them out.

G

·
Is this her first time holding? If so..,it ight be worth stripping her. She might have let them out and scooped them back up again? Its hard to say really because sounds like you're not sure how long she's been holding.

If she really is getting too skinny, I'd strip her carefully and have some kind of make-shift tumbling device handy, just in case you've stripped he early. I don't think this will be an issue if she's as skinny as you say she is it indicates she's been holding for a while?

Can you get a photo up?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Is there a safe place for her to spit in the tank? I had a mama lab hold for a while and I was concerned that she might starve to death (she was not skinny, I was just paranoid). I set up a "fry pile" of river rocks on one side of the tank and in one day she'd spit into the pile. I had been told a new mother might hold too long if she doesn't feel it safe to spit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a fry pile, but she rarely goes to that corner of the tank. I had counted her "first hold" which was 3 weeks, then, like I said I tried to catch her but couldn't. She ate for a couple days maybe, and again seems to be holding. I'm not sure I can catch her with the rock work in my tank. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow, but I'm not very good at getting quality pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts