Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched this a lot over the last couple days but I'm still not sure. I got an ob peacock (my 2nd one) about 2 weeks ago and its acting strange. Its the smallest fish in the tank and upon its arrival it was bullied badly by my other ob peacock who is slightly larger and I'm pretty sure its a male. I was going to take out the new fish but the bullying stopped. Its fins got torn up pretty badly but the fish seemed to be a trooper! The new ob was acting normal after being bullied the first day or two, it would eat and swim freely. Once I noticed some thin stringy poop, definitely not regularly. The last couple days its acting very strange, hiding a lot, not swimming much. Its anus area looks puffy and its doing odd things with its mouth like shuffling motions. Its mouth also looks droopy. When I fed the fish last night the new ob came out like usual, went after the food but never ate a piece. It was kinda like it wanted to but didn't want to at the last second. I'm not sure if this fish is holding or has bloat from being stress out. It seems kinda small to be holding, not sure though. Here are some pictures of the fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Looks and sounds like holding to me. :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The daddy is this blue regal peacock. He won't leave her side and acts protective if either of the other two fish get close. I haven't had this happen in a tank yet, its very interesting to watch how they all act together. Its pretty much like they are head over heels in love now! I don't have an extra tank to put her or the babies in so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
She's holding. You can see her egg-tube distended in the first and third picture. This means that she spawned either on the same day as the photos were taken or perhaps the day before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the fish has been doing fine. She's been a recluse but I guess that's normal. What's even more interesting is that now the original ob, who I thought was a male appears to be holding also! :eek: The fish looks and is acting the same.

I just got a new, larger tank and I'm planning on setting it up soon but I don't want to disturb them. :-?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While we are on the subject, what should I do with the two holding ob's? There are only 4 fish in their 55gal now. I just bought a 75 which I should have set-up this week. The small ob pictured might be getting close and I don't want her or the original ob swallowing their eggs. If I net them and move them will they get too stressed out and spit out their eggs? any advice?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I have never had a holding fish spit fertilized eggs when being netted. If she spits a couple eggs she usually picks them back up...but usually...she holds them.

If a fish who is holding mature fry spits in the net, you can just put the fry in the prepared tank.

Where do you plan to raise the fry?

G

·
my black fin lethrinop female spit her eggs when color netted them and i took them home.. she didnt pick them back up in the bag either... how can you tell if an ob peacock is male or female? i have 5 and no idea whats what... the tank they are in is basically an all male show tank so id like to weed out the females..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chunkanese said:
Can you get a picture of this other ob? In anycase blue regal and ob peacock may make some cool looking fish.
I tried the other day and none of the pictures turned out very well. Hopefully I can get some soon.

DJRansome said:
I have never had a holding fish spit fertilized eggs when being netted. If she spits a couple eggs she usually picks them back up...but usually...she holds them.

If a fish who is holding mature fry spits in the net, you can just put the fry in the prepared tank.

Where do you plan to raise the fry?
I'm not sure yet. I was planning on selling my 55 setup after the 75 is up and going with these fish. I might have to get a smaller tank to keep them. Not sure yet...

m1ke715m said:
my black fin lethrinop female spit her eggs when color netted them and i took them home.. she didnt pick them back up in the bag either... how can you tell if an ob peacock is male or female? i have 5 and no idea whats what... the tank they are in is basically an all male show tank so id like to weed out the females..
I'm not sure, I thought both of mine were males when I bought them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I wasn't able to get a breeder net or another tank for her. I noticed the other day she was out and about and her jaw was back to normal, also eager to eat. No signs her babies.

G

·
one of my ob peacocks is holding now too... i have no idea how to sex them... i have 1 that is def a male cuz its a jerk and then the holding one and then 3 small ones... anyone have any idea on how to sex them?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
m1ke715m said:
one of my ob peacocks is holding now too... i have no idea how to sex them... i have 1 that is def a male cuz its a jerk and then the holding one and then 3 small ones... anyone have any idea on how to sex them?
Should be painfully clear if they're sexually mature. Females are still drab. Males are beautiful, great fins, color, etc.

G

·
not really cuz the one that is holding now has a firefish/strawberry background like the red cross pattern with a few blotchs... it looks a lil different than most ob peacocks... then i have 3 small ob's and 1 big one thats a jerk and is obviously a male but also kinda has a firefish background and then some blotchs.. they came into the lfs as "calico malawi" lol they get mad when you point out that they have no idea what they are talkin about when it comes to africans

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My "jerk" ob turned out to be a female. No dull colors at all. Beautiful evenly spread orange spots throughout its fins and distinct black spots on its body, unlike the females who pictures I originally posted who looks dull.

·
Registered
71 Posts
m1ke715m said:
How big are they? You could vent them. Best way I know how if the fish are big enough.

·
Registered
71 Posts
m1ke715m said:
not really cuz the one that is holding now has a firefish/strawberry background like the red cross pattern with a few blotchs... it looks a lil different than most ob peacocks... then i have 3 small ob's and 1 big one thats a jerk and is obviously a male but also kinda has a firefish background and then some blotchs.. they came into the lfs as "calico malawi" lol they get mad when you point out that they have no idea what they are talkin about when it comes to africans
There is such a fish. Sold a lot in the Uk and Europe. It's a tank bred hybrid. Though to be from OB zebras and some kind of peacock.

Not saying your are but they do exist. Some people try and get away with calling them Aulonocara calico. At least the lfa dude didn't do that :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.