Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 8 maingano, 3 snow whites, 5 acei and 13 saulosi. The maingano are 1.5-2" Saulosi 1, 1.5 and 2" depending on the individual fish. Acei 1.5" socolofi 1.5" The maingano I have 4 I feel are female based on coloration, 1 unknown and I believe 3 definate males. One of the female had been acting normally, eating well etc. Yesterday I noticed she wasn't eating, hiding behind a vase, but still was active if I came near her. I don't see any damage on any fish and no fish seems to be bullying anyone. The other fish all are acting normally. Is it likely this fish (biggest in tank 2") is holding or it is more likely she is ill?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Borderline. I have a dem that's definitely holding, but her "pouch" is slightly larger. Similarly, though, she's only about 2" and is first-time holder. Does she "chew gum" often? Dart at food then avoid it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd say that is likely (though not definitely) a feamle based on the coloration. I'd also say it's likely that she's holding. My feamale's buccal sac doesn't extend much (similar to picture) and I can tell more by behavior than anything else. If it was aggression then she would likely be hanging out at the top of the tank by the filter, etc..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Chewing gum = moving mouth open and closed slightly while working her gills constantly. If she comes out to eat with the crwodd and doesn't then that 's a pretty good sign that she is indeed holding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yea I'd guess that she is holding,
maybe because its her first time there might not be a lot in there though.
Lovely coloured fish too!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she does open and close her mouth slightly a lot...haven't noticed the gills...She is one of my fave fish..and biggest in tank atm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts