Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the topic title I bet your confused. As am I. I have a trio of 3 Which I thought 2 males 1 female. Typically my larger male was dominant but after a fight my second largest became dominant always chasing my largest male. I should mention that my largest has a larger head and high back. He rarely shows his colors now. Well the other day I witnessed my second largest which is dominant doing a spawning ritual with my male red zebra. My hap kept picking up sand as if they were eggs. After a minute they seperated. Today I woke up and my "dominant male" is holding. It's been "chewing" for 30 minutes and seems more reclusive and much less aggressive. I will try to get a picture when my girlfriend comes back with her camera. I should mention last week my known female was holding for about a week until swallowing her eggs. As I type this their spawning again!!! Sorry I type this on my iPod can't space paragraphs.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add, I saw her lay eggs. Is it common for a hap female to bully the male? I didn't know a zebra would breed with a hap. I will let nature take it's course since they would be mutant fry.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
All mouthbrooders can crossbreed, and will if there are not a sufficient number of appropriate females available. Males do not hold, so it is likely that he is a she. :thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep I know that it means it's a female just mind boggling when this female is the 3rd most aggressive in my tank for the past couple months. Also I have a large male of her own species yet breeds with a zebra. I'm almost wanting to keep one fry if I can just to see how it looks. Anyone know what red (yellow) zebra/hap red fin look like?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts