Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to ob trew holding what im wondering is i have a net breeder a foating breeder and a 22g tsnk i could move them 2 but i wondering is if i reintroduce them to the tank are the males gonna kill them off for losing fry

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I think what you're asking is if the males remembered that they fertilized the eggs and expect the females to be good mothers. The answer to that is that the males totally forget who their offspring are. They'd eat their own offspring if given the chance. So the males don't care if the females come back without the fry.

As a side note, within about 48 hours of the mother spitting the fry, mom also forgets who her offspring are and will eat them if given the chance.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Note that you don't need to move the females out right away. I'd wait until about day 16-18 before I moved them unless they are getting excessively chased and nipped fins.

If you have a spare 22g tank, that should do nicely for at least 1 female (depending on dimensions, it might be enough room for both temporarily). If the tank isn't up and running make sure to cycle it before adding fish though. For example, transfer some of your veteran filter media from your established tank into your filter for the 22g tank.

Is your plan to let the females spit naturally? Or will you strip them?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i plan on letting them spit natuarly the 22g used to hold shellies till i moved them this morning to another tank so water is already set up there is excessive chasing of one female now if i had an egg tumbler i would remove the egss butt i dont have that luxury at this time so it would be them spitting fry on there own

1 - 5 of 5 Posts