Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So about a month ago i've got a group of 20 demasoni and 7 yellow labs for my new 55gal tank. Now they are at about 1.5'' in size. Couple days ago i noticed that one of my dems stopped eating and just hanging out in one spot close to the top of the tank. My first guess was that she's holding, but since they are only at a size of 1.5'' it's really hard to see if there is something in her mouth. There is no signs of fighting or agression in the tank, so i don't think that she/he would be beat up or something... if anyone would have any ideas what is going on with her please share! also i'd appreciate if someone would have a picture of a dem holding at around that size.. Thanks a lot! :fish:

Water:
0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrites
30ppm nitrates

·
Registered
825 Posts
These are both 2" ...my holding females do not hang out at the top though.

2 holding female: :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like it's a female and holding from the behaviour. It's not alway obvious from froma bulging throat at that size. Each female is different. If they're only holding a few eggs it's less obvious as well.
I've only kept Malawis for around 8 months but have had numerous Demasoni spawn in my Dem/Lab mix tank.

Just keep an eye on it. Soon enough you'll be inudated with fry and holding females!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys! maybe soon i'll be able to sell some fry :thumb: and my little fishies will pay me back some of hundreds and hundreds of $ that i've spent on my 2 tanks;]

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It sounds like she's stressed if she's hanging out at the top of the tank. Do you have a tank to move her to so she won't be harrassed? Even putting her in a breeder net inside the tank would be better and make her feel more secure.

If she's overly harrassed by the males, she may not be able to hold full term.

Kim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cichlidaholic said:
It sounds like she's stressed if she's hanging out at the top of the tank. Do you have a tank to move her to so she won't be harrassed? Even putting her in a breeder net inside the tank would be better and make her feel more secure.

If she's overly harrassed by the males, she may not be able to hold full term.

Kim
i actually don't have an extra tank right now.. i've got a 65g,55g and a fish bowl, but i think it would be brutal to put her in a fish bowl. I think i gonna have to get a 15 gal fry tank next week so i'll try to move her then. Also after i move her to another tank, do i let her spit fry or do i have to strip her? and if i let her spit would she eat her own fry or she'd take care of them?

Thanks Kim

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I never had a problem with demasoni eating their own fry, but just to be on the safe side, I'd put some plants and hiding spots in there for them.

If you strip her, you may want to do so with a turkey baster...It's hard to strip those tiny moms.

Kim

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I would let her spit in the fry tank and then remove her before long so she doesn't eat them. I don't know anything about dems though so maybe Kim can tell you how long they would be safe with her. Most of my fish swallowed the first time they held. Maybe dems catch on quicker though. Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all info..Just one more question. I'm going to buy a fry/growout tank, what size would be the best to look at? 10g,15g,20g?
i won't be having tons of fry, but i think my group of demasonis gonna start bringing me some babies soon;] Thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
For a breeder tank, a 10G would be fine. For growing them out, you'd be better of with a 29G or larger. It depends on how many fry you're going to have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sad update!! i closely analysed the "holding" female, so now i'm 95% sure that it's a bloat and not pregnancy that's bothering my demasoni!! what do i do?? i have no tank to separate it!
what could it be from? i feed my fish NLS cichlid formula and some flakes sometimes.. Please respond asap if anyone have any ideas.. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
How did you rule out pregnancy? Is she eating again? Did you try stripping and get nothing?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
punman said:
How did you rule out pregnancy? Is she eating again? Did you try stripping and get nothing?
well i didn't completely rule it out, but today this dem's belly looks swollen.. i've never had any of my cichlids sick before, probably because i keep them only since january.. anyways i'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

Is there anyway to treat bloat without separating the sick fish?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts