Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yellow lab that is holding with some of her guys swimming around now. She seems to be still holding some. I have her separated in half of a 20G long with her fry. I have barbs in the other half that are there to just hold the tank cycle if I'm not using it.

Back in the community tank I have a Red Zebra now holding. I might end up just leaving her there to spit in the community tank but this raised some questions. Can you put two holding mothers and their fry together? I assume you can mix the fry once they are spit but not sure what the situation would be with two mothers together. I seem to be running out of tank room. Well not really I am cycling a 125G but there will be a load of Tropheus in there soon.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
Two holding mothers in one tank might not want to spit with the other fish in there. If they will both be ready on the same day, you could strip both into the fry tank and replace them in the main tank immediately.

Fry of the same age/size are usually OK together, but even one week older could make a difference. The mothers, of course, will eat each others and their own babies within 24-48 hours.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
You could strip the remaining fry from her, toss her back into general population, and either put the zebra in a breeding compartment in the 20 or just strip her fry into the compartment. At some point, you're going to run out of places to keep them!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts