Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a group of Acei from a local guy and one of the largest ones that I thought was a male since he was the "leader" of the pack is now holding. The only thing that I am worried about is that on the right side of her mouth she has a lump that almost looks like scar tissue from fighting possibly.

Her mouth still seems to open as wide as the rest but do you think it is genetic deformity or just a scar like I am hoping. Got her when she already almost 3 inches and was didnt notice it till I was home and she was in my tank.

Will post a pic in the next post, all and any opinions will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Ben

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Here is the picture of the mouth. Its kinda hard to see but in person it is a noticable protrusion out of the corner of the mouth. Right where the upper and lower lip meets. Doesnt seem to be off colored at all or anything like that and has been like that since day one when I got her.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Could be either. Hard to know. I'd think most injuries would heal correctly unless it was an extremely bad wound. If it's genetic, fry might inherit it (not all of course). It'd be your choice if you want cull any deformed babies or not (or feed them to something).

I had a Convict with a crooked spine (clearly genetic). She never paired up with any of my males--they simply chose to fight over the other female. I think it's because she didn't swim as well--was an obvious weakness. I eventually culled her because she kept getting beat up.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have a cobalt zebra that got columnaris really bad as a juvi, I'm amazed he lived. He has a nasty crossbite now and teeth sticking out, but still spends his down time nibbling fuzz off the rocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts