Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i have a 90g tank with 14 small cichlids, 4 synodontis cats and a few tetras (one of which is pregnant!) - currently i'm running 2 powerheads and one Eheim pro 3 - 2075 canister filter. I'm thinking of adding a penguin 350 or 400 hob filter http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Fil...o-Wheel-Power-Filter_7712001_102.html?tc=fish due to it's rediculously low price - however the filter media is where they get you.

my question is that even though their filter media for these filters are integrated on a plastic "sleeve", can you just push in your own media bought in bulk for cheap without that plastic sleeve?

hoping some of you who are using this filter will jump in with what you use for media as opposed to buying their overpriced replacement cartridges.

Cheers!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm using green scotch brite scrubbing pads in my penguin 350 as suggested by others on this forum. I'm happy with the performance and price. Using the brite pads has freed up some room so I've tossed in a couple AquaClear BioMax inserts too.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
That link is to the very small penguin filter. For your tank I would use an Emp 400 or at least the 350. I have 4 Emp 400's. I bought 8 extra replace pads for pretty cheap online. I wash and reuse them in a rotating schedule. Or you can do a DIY replacement. Here is the thread - http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... a63f45943d

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, their link reverts to the smaller filter, but for sure i'd be looking at the 350. i will read through that other thread.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There aRe 4 slots for the inserts. I use one on each side and replace with quilt batting. Then get a nylon bag and add any other wanted media behind those inserts. :thumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome responses ... Would someone with a 350 be so kind as to tell me what the measurement off the back of the tank is to the back of the filter? I have a feeling my tank may be too close to the wall to accommodate an HOB.

Cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I have 3" exactly so this might work. Can't hurt for $50 (plus some cheap media) to add a second filter.

Cheers!

·
Registered
355 Posts
There is also a $10 rebate on the bigger penguin filters right now so I ended up getting a penguin 350 for around $16 which is super cheap!! The other smaller filters have a $5 rebate on them. The Aquaclear filters are on sale right now too so i scooped up a couple of those also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so my next question which could be a topic all on it's own would be ...

has anyone tried the Eheim liberty HOB filters?
how do they compare with the Marineland penguin or emperor? (they are smaller but you could use 2 instead of just one, etc)

Any comments are welcome if you own a liberty HOB by Eheim.

Cheers!

G

·
If you're still looking for filter pads for the penguin HOBs marineland makes a plastic reuseable media cartridge. I got to for about four bucks each. They can be filled with any media you want. In mine I have gravel as biological filtration.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have not used the eheim hobs but I really like the tetra whisper ex series . You have removable inserts and it primes itself just plug it in. Really quiet too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts