Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey we are new to the site. My wife and I have really been hooked on Cichlids. I recently started a 75 gal. African mixed tank. Soon after, my wife caught the fish bug too. She has a 36 gal. Bowfront with mixed Africans. We have recently upgraded and are in the process of setting up our 125 gal. tank. We are thinking about Frontosas and are open to any and all suggestions, criticisms and critiques. We are here to learn, thanks in advance.

His 75 gal.

Her 36 gal. bowfront

Our 125 gal.

I apologize for the pictures, they are not the best of quality. Maybe a new camera is in our future.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well, you should repost your stocking lists for both tanks in the Malawi section, and here's why (just off the top of my head, from what I can see in your pics):

75: The crabro (bumblebee cichlid) and male auratus are going to cream your peacock(s) when the former become sexually mature.
36: The nimbo (mottled coloration) will outgrow that tank very shortly. The kenyi (yellow with vertical stripes) should be housed in nothing smaller than a 5' tank.

I'm awful at sugar-coating, but you asked ;) You may be fine with your set ups for a couple months, but when things go bad, it'll happen fast.

Regarding the Frontosas - post in the Tang forum. They require even more careful planning of tankmates than mbuna.

You can keep all the fish you have now, with potentially no future problems, by distributing them carefully over your 3 tanks.

Hope to see you in the Malawi forum soon :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the feedback. We are actually in the process of moving the Livingstoni to the 125 (or getting rid of him) depending on Frontosas. We have had the 75 for a year and bought most of the fish when they were about 1'' or smaller. We had a lot of problems in the beginning but this mix seems to be working for a few months. The two Auratus' already had a fry and we have about 3 survivors (didn't know we had them in the tank until one day they were there).

I do have a question about the Kenyai. What is the reasoning for the 5' tank? He was one of the first fish we bought and hasn't gotten much bigger.

Again, thanks for your feedback. How can we move this post to the Malawi forum?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Kenyi are known for being pretty mean, and they'll beat on your other fish quite a bit. 5' is so they can stake out their territory, and so it won't be the entire tank! ;)

You can just copy and paste everything into there, or a mod. might come around and see this and move it.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
5' is a bit extreme for Kenyi, that's 100g. They're fine in a larger 4', say 75g and upwards. I'm sure he'll enjoy the 125 once it's set up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yea man, ditch the livingstonii and drop a Venustus in your 125. What filtration do you have running on your tanks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we are going to ditch most of the fish in the 36 gal. Right now i have a RENA P3 and a aqua clear 110 on the 75gal.... the 125 has a RENA P2 and a RENA P3.

I may just move the kenyi back to the 75 and move my haps and peacocks out of the 75 and into to 125. I was really planning on doing fronts in the 125. I see some places that the haps and peacocks do well with fronts and others say they arnt ideal due to water conditions and substrate.

I have only been doing this for a year, but very eager to learn.

The 36 is up for sale.

again, any feedback would be great!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts